[Maya-Python] Ctrl + P

Marcus Ottosson

Apr 9, 2021, 2:36:23 PM4/9/21
to python_in...@googlegroups.com

Sorry for the cryptic title, but this has eluded me for years and I can never remember the hotkey for this hidden but surprisingly useful little widget that pops up in Maya whenever you hit Ctrl + P when I actually need it. So there, crystallised and written into the stone that is the internets.

Does anyone know what this is called? Where does it come from? And how can it can be called from Python? :O

And if you think “Why didn’t he just look in he Hotkey editor, lol?”, then think again!

image.png

vince touache

Apr 9, 2021, 2:42:18 PM4/9/21
to Python Programming for Autodesk Maya
hahaha I have no idea what this widget is used for, in fact I asked Autodesk a few years ago and the guys couldn't answer me either, or give me the name of it ^_^ would be interesting to check which Qt name they gave it, now I think about it

Kurian O.S

Apr 9, 2021, 2:42:20 PM4/9/21
to python_in...@googlegroups.com

--:: Kurian ::--

Kenneth Ibrahim

Apr 9, 2021, 2:50:20 PM4/9/21
to python_in...@googlegroups.com
The following PyMEL command reports that this hotkey is mapped to "ColorPickerNameCommand":

pm.hotkey('p', query=True, ctl=True, name=True)

Is that what you're looking for?

Ken

On Fri, Apr 9, 2021 at 11:36 AM Marcus Ottosson <konstr...@gmail.com> wrote:

"God is a metaphor for a mystery that absolutely transcends all human categories of thought. It's as simple as that!" - Joseph Campbell

Ravi Jagannadhan

Apr 9, 2021, 3:09:11 PM4/9/21
to python_in...@googlegroups.com
If I remember right, it's just called the Colour Picker.

On Fri, Apr 9, 2021 at 11:36 AM Marcus Ottosson <konstr...@gmail.com> wrote:

Where we have strong emotions, we're liable to fool ourselves - Carl Sagan

Ravi Jagannadhan

Apr 9, 2021, 3:09:45 PM4/9/21
to python_in...@googlegroups.com
Actually, I think Kurian has the right answer.

stephenkmann

Apr 9, 2021, 3:42:12 PM4/9/21
to python_in...@googlegroups.com
I'm confused.. I use this widget all the time when making shaders, wireframe colors. etc etc etc
It's all over maya for anything that needs "color choice" to be made

-=s

vince touache

Apr 9, 2021, 4:37:10 PM4/9/21
to Python Programming for Autodesk Maya
I guess I don't really use it in rigging, reason why I didn't know about it! still good to know!

Marcus Ottosson

Apr 10, 2021, 9:09:46 AM4/10/21
to python_in...@googlegroups.com

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/maya/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2018/ENU/Maya-Basics/files/GUID-B79EBC73-40D6-4D7C-B1D4-5DF5C8784914-htm.html

Bingo, that’s it right there. I had only seen the “compact version” of it in any reproducible way, when changing colors in shaders etc. This “modal version” comes in handy every so often when you just want the hex value of a color, e.g. when making Qt widgets!

pm.hotkey(‘p’, query=True, ctl=True, name=True)

Neat command, didn’t know about that one! Funny how it’s able to provide you with information the Hotkey Editor doesn’t.

Thanks guys, my curiosity has been satisfied. :D

stephenkmann

Apr 14, 2021, 2:35:07 PM4/14/21
to python_in...@googlegroups.com
if you double-click a color swatch , you get the full color picker. if you single click. you get the compact.