Installing Pillow for Maya 2016 / Python 3.6

francois bonnard

Sep 17, 2016, 3:29:20 AM9/17/16
to Python Programming for Autodesk Maya
Key guys

I am looking for a way to install Pillow for Python 3.6 on Windows 10.

There is a package to download on gitHub, but no exe files (just a basic tutorial on how to build it, which is a bit above my competencies)

Any hep ?

Thanks

Fransua

francois bonnard

Sep 19, 2016, 10:42:18 AM9/19/16
to Python Programming for Autodesk Maya
I have stepped back to Python 2.7.12 with Pillow installed with pip.

It worked with the Idle provide with Python, but in Maya :

ImportError: file <maya console> line 5: No module named PIL #

Robert White

Sep 19, 2016, 11:15:19 AM9/19/16
to Python Programming for Autodesk Maya
Are you on windows?
Because Maya (2013+) does not use the same C-runtime as standard python2.7 on windows, which means you can't just reuse the same C-extensions between the two versions.
Usually you need to rebuild the library against the version(s) of Maya that you're planning to support.

francois bonnard

Sep 19, 2016, 3:22:39 PM9/19/16
to Python Programming for Autodesk Maya
Hi Robert.

Yes for Windows.

Where Can I find documentation about rebuilding the library ?

Justin Israel

Sep 19, 2016, 5:10:59 PM9/19/16
to python_in...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 7:22 AM francois bonnard <geos...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Robert.

Yes for Windows.

Where Can I find documentation about rebuilding the library ?

The documentation is here:

However, quoting that documentation:

"We don’t recommend trying to build on Windows. It is a maze of twisty passages, mostly dead ends. There are build scripts and notes for the Windows build in the winbuild directory."

 :-)

Justin