seqls/seqinfo (gofileseq) binary releases

Justin Israel

Feb 20, 2018, 5:31:59 AM2/20/18
to python_in...@googlegroups.com
A few years ago I had posted about my Go library + CLI tools for formatting and listing image file sequences (based on the Python fileseq library, which I maintain). Later I had also posted about a C++ version.

Wanted to update one more time with some new information in case this is useful to anyone. The binary tools are now automatically cross-compiled for linux, osx, and windows on each release. Also the C++ bindings have been replaced with a pure C++ port. We are using all 3 language ports in production at my studio.

Consolidated details here:

Hopefully someone finds this useful.

Justin

Marcus Ottosson

Feb 20, 2018, 6:04:49 AM2/20/18
to python_in...@googlegroups.com
Nice work, Justin.

It'd be helpful with a listing of alternatives, especially ones for Python, and perhaps a comparison to know which to use when.

Justin Israel

Feb 20, 2018, 1:44:24 PM2/20/18

On Wed, Feb 21, 2018, 12:04 AM Marcus Ottosson <konstr...@gmail.com> wrote:
Nice work, Justin.

It'd be helpful with a listing of alternatives, especially ones for Python, and perhaps a comparison to know which to use when.

Do you mean alternative projects? Or a comparison between my own ports, and which language to use when?

I'm not really familiar with existing other projects that provide this. It's always been just a thing you have to rewrite at the next studio. That's why my colleague initially wrote the python fileseq project. Then I needed the library functionality in two other languages as well: Go and C++. So they all do the same thing. But the command line tools are only available from the gofileseq project. They are static binaries that can be flicked around machines with no dependencies.

So then it just comes down to which language in which you need to deal with sequence strings and frame ranges.

On 20 February 2018 at 10:31, Justin Israel <justin...@gmail.com> wrote:
A few years ago I had posted about my Go library + CLI tools for formatting and listing image file sequences (based on the Python fileseq library, which I maintain). Later I had also posted about a C++ version.

Wanted to update one more time with some new information in case this is useful to anyone. The binary tools are now automatically cross-compiled for linux, osx, and windows on each release. Also the C++ bindings have been replaced with a pure C++ port. We are using all 3 language ports in production at my studio.

Consolidated details here:

Hopefully someone finds this useful.

Justin

Paul Molodowitch

Feb 21, 2018, 12:46:08 PM2/21/18
On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 10:44 AM Justin Israel <justin...@gmail.com> wrote:

I'm not really familiar with existing other projects that provide this. It's always been just a thing you have to rewrite at the next studio.

Only other one I'm aware of is one by mikros:

No idea how about it's features, etc... by the time I learned about it, we already had an established library we were using internally.  Good to get more alternatives out there for people starting up new pipelines (or perhaps looking to swap out their solution for something else), though!

 - Paul

Justin Israel

Feb 21, 2018, 1:56:36 PM2/21/18
to python_in...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for that! Took a look to see what it does. It has a few minor overlapping concepts with fileseq, but not too much. They seem to focus on slightly different features. SequenceParser looks like it wants to deal with telling you what is under a given directory, and the number of consecutive frames ranges each sequence has, and stats info.
Fileseq tends to focus on expressing more complex frame range patterns, since it is common for renders to say render on 10s, "1-100x10" . Or to later submit a range that back fills those on-10s renders, "1-100y10". Or even to submit a range that prioritises 10s first and then the rest, "1-100:10".
Also, the formats map to Nuke and Katana concepts with # and @ padding, stepping, and non contiguous ranges, "1-10,15,21,33,50-100x2".

But you are totally right. It's out there so that a new pipeline doesn't have to yet again write this same code.

 - Paul

Marcus Ottosson

Feb 21, 2018, 3:33:30 PM2/21/18
to python_in...@googlegroups.com
I've mostly used clique myself, but have also glanced at pyseqfileseq and filesequence.​

Justin Israel

Feb 21, 2018, 4:00:06 PM2/21/18
On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 9:33 AM Marcus Ottosson <konstr...@gmail.com> wrote:
I've mostly used clique myself, but have also glanced at pyseqfileseq and filesequence.​

Sweet. A lot of options out there with different available formats!
Maybe people already married to a particular library will still find the seqls CLI tool helpful if their lib doesn't come with one. It does concurrent recursive listings of file sequences in one or more root directories.

er...@goodbyekansas.com

Mar 9, 2018, 10:01:17 AM3/9/18
to Python Programming for Autodesk Maya
FYI seqls do not work on bgeo.sc files from Houdini. It lists them as individual files.

Justin Israel

Mar 9, 2018, 4:46:30 PM3/9/18

On Sat, Mar 10, 2018, 4:01 AM <er...@goodbyekansas.com> wrote:
FYI seqls do not work on bgeo.sc files from Houdini. It lists them as individual files.

How do you mean? Fileseq isn't aware of file types. It recognises frame patterns as sequences. What kind of usage did you try?

bgeo.1-10#.sc

Justin Israel

Mar 9, 2018, 5:25:01 PM3/9/18

On Sat, Mar 10, 2018, 10:46 AM Justin Israel <justin...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sat, Mar 10, 2018, 4:01 AM <er...@goodbyekansas.com> wrote:
FYI seqls do not work on bgeo.sc files from Houdini. It lists them as individual files.

How do you mean? Fileseq isn't aware of file types. It recognises frame patterns as sequences. What kind of usage did you try?

bgeo.1-10#.sc

Oh I see what you mean now. I just looked up the bgeo.sc format and realised that it is an extension type containing dots, which fileseq doesn't support

SimCache.1-10#.bgeo.sc

Its never come up until now, but it seems like something that should be parsed properly. Can you submit an issue with the request and I can implement it across all the ports?

Justin Israel

Mar 13, 2018, 2:39:01 PM3/13/18

On Sat, Mar 10, 2018, 11:24 AM Justin Israel <justin...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sat, Mar 10, 2018, 10:46 AM Justin Israel <justin...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sat, Mar 10, 2018, 4:01 AM <er...@goodbyekansas.com> wrote:
FYI seqls do not work on bgeo.sc files from Houdini. It lists them as individual files.

How do you mean? Fileseq isn't aware of file types. It recognises frame patterns as sequences. What kind of usage did you try?

bgeo.1-10#.sc

Oh I see what you mean now. I just looked up the bgeo.sc format and realised that it is an extension type containing dots, which fileseq doesn't support

SimCache.1-10#.bgeo.sc

Its never come up until now, but it seems like something that should be parsed properly. Can you submit an issue with the request and I can implement it across all the ports?

Fixed now in gofileseq. Released 2.5.1