System of References Maya

Totally Zen

Jul 7, 2021, 8:53:28 PM7/7/21
to Python Programming for Autodesk Maya
how to solve maya's frame of reference is quite confusing?
some he adds RN, why?
others he adds numbers, why?
I see he plays his way, however he wants, because I still can't see what standard he uses for that.

I don't know if I explained it very well for you to understand this problem with maya renaming

Can someone who understood explain it to me?

Marcus Ottosson

Jul 8, 2021, 2:08:07 AM7/8/21
to python_in...@googlegroups.com
Not sure I understand; can you add some examples of what you are seeing and what you expect to see?

Juan Moraga

Jul 8, 2021, 2:42:18 AM7/8/21
to python_in...@googlegroups.com
Hello there,

When you import a reference, maya imports a node of the type "reference", which has a diamond icon and you will find them by the end of the outliner. This node is a Reference Node, and thus the RN at the end of its naming. If you have imported that reference more than once (or you have a node already with the expected Reference Node name), the following reference nodes will have a number at the end of them to avoid name collision.

Apart from that, Maya imports the nodes within the referenced maya file, those will have also a little diamon too.

Maya reference system can be a bit chaotic, specislly when it comes to the spooky  Reference Edits.

Kind regards,

Totally Zen

Jul 13, 2021, 9:33:21 AM7/13/21
to Python Programming for Autodesk Maya
How do I export the Yeti I have in my reference to my current project? It is there that confuses these Nodes and their references when names are the same and maya himself renames putting or adding numbers.