Tornado as a reverse proxy?

Wilber H

Feb 3, 2021, 1:38:12 PM2/3/21
to Tornado Web Server
Hi,

Can Tornado's webserver be configured as a reverse proxy?

Rajdeep Rath

Feb 3, 2021, 2:22:06 PM2/3/21
to python-...@googlegroups.com
You want to send request to another server from tornado?

On Thu, 4 Feb, 2021, 12:08 am Wilber H, <wilbe...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

Can Tornado's webserver be configured as a reverse proxy?

Wilber H

Feb 3, 2021, 2:53:36 PM2/3/21
to Tornado Web Server
No; I want to send request to the application.

Rajdeep Rath

Feb 3, 2021, 2:57:36 PM2/3/21
to python-...@googlegroups.com

Wilber H

Feb 3, 2021, 3:07:16 PM2/3/21
to Tornado Web Server
Thanks but that example uses nginx as the reverse proxy, to send request to Tornado.
Since Tornado has a webserver, I was wondering if it can be configured as a reverse proxy.  But looks like is not possible; can't find this capability in their docs.

Ben Darnell

Feb 3, 2021, 8:54:26 PM2/3/21
to Tornado Mailing List
On Wed, Feb 3, 2021 at 3:07 PM Wilber H <wilbe...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks but that example uses nginx as the reverse proxy, to send request to Tornado.
Since Tornado has a webserver, I was wondering if it can be configured as a reverse proxy.  But looks like is not possible; can't find this capability in their docs.

You could *build* a reverse proxy using Tornado. But there's not any built-in proxy functionality that you can simply configure and use.

To build a proxy I'd recommend programming directly to the HTTP*Delegate interfaces and not using the tornado.web module. I vaguely recall that there are things about the tornado.web module that make it unsuitable for *forward* proxies. It might still work for reverse proxies, but you'll probably get better results with the lower-level interfaces.

-Ben

On Wednesday, February 3, 2021 at 2:57:36 PM UTC-5 rajde...@gmail.com wrote:

Is this what you are looking for ?

On Wednesday, February 3, 2021 at 2:22:06 PM UTC-5 rajde...@gmail.com wrote:
You want to send request to another server from tornado?

On Thu, 4 Feb, 2021, 12:08 am Wilber H, <wilbe...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

Can Tornado's webserver be configured as a reverse proxy?

Wilber H

Feb 3, 2021, 9:09:14 PM2/3/21
to Tornado Web Server
Thanks Ben