Frustration trying to load Python libraries

g pc

Mar 18, 2021, 4:58:48 PM3/18/21
to pystat...@googlegroups.com
Hi All:
I am mostly an R and Matlab user who is trying to familiarize myself with Python since it seems to be popular for certain finance applications. I tried to load the scipy package in WinPython and Rodeo and it simply will not work. As a result, I can't get the computations done. I have an Anaconda installation. I don't know if there is some kind of conflict between installations.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Best wishes,
G.

Ben Kaylor

Mar 18, 2021, 7:32:05 PM3/18/21
to pystat...@googlegroups.com
1) If you have a Gmail account you can launch notebooks via Google Colab for free and store in your Google drive.

2) You can join Kaggle and do the same thing full environment lots of data, and you don't have to join a competition if you just want to create a notebook and mess around.

3) I'm not sure why you chose WinPython. You can download Python for windows right from the python website.

3) If you are on windows 10 you can install Linux subsystem from the Windows store. Makes it a lot easier if you have a Linux background.

4) Pycharm has the ability to install python and setup venv, virtual environments and is a first class python IDE.

So in summary,
My suggestion is since you are just getting started skip the hassle of learning to install locally. Instead use Google Colab or Kaggle as your playground. You can upload datasets, install any packages you want and it is Jupyter/iPython so visually easier to work with when learning/debugging.

I spent a lot of free time on learning how to setup GPU, CUDA on my local machine. A lot of reinstalls and tutorials a few years back. I could have spent it coding on Google Colab or Kaggle. Similar to what you are going through I know the feeling of just wanting to dive in, and these platforms are better entry points for non power users. Plus if you are unsure uncomfortable on how to install locally there are some security concerns by not using things like Docker, virtual environments, etc. to protect yourself from some rogue 3rd party packages.

David

Chuck Becker

Mar 18, 2021, 9:11:01 PM3/18/21
to pystat...@googlegroups.com
Rodeo is an orphaned product.  Spyder is as good and remains actively supported.  Best simple online environment imho is Datalore from Jetbrains.  But an Anaconda install of Jupyter is as easy as falling off a bike.

David Waterworth

Mar 18, 2021, 10:49:33 PM3/18/21
to pystat...@googlegroups.com
Visual Studio code with the python and jupyter extensions are excellent as well, free and cross platform. I find the standard python distribution just as easy as Anaconda now, plus once you get a bit more advanced it’s trivial to create different environments and use in vscode.

If you create a notebook vscode will install and spin up jupyter.

Sent from my iPhone

JB Data31

Mar 19, 2021, 2:41:39 AM3/19/21
to pystat...@googlegroups.com
raw env as ubuntu, native python3 and pip3, vi as editor, no "layer" between your code and the OS : simple and efficient to kick off.
If you'e rather your mouse pointer use Windows.

@JBΔ

josef...@gmail.com

Mar 19, 2021, 8:44:16 AM3/19/21
to pystatsmodels
I have been using Winpython forever without problems.
But I use the portable version and do not install it. I just launch spyder, notebook server and command shells from the Winpython directory.

My main editor is still eclipse/pydev and I need to adjust the path to the python version that it uses whenever I create a new updated Winpython directory.

Josef