Color Coding Functions

Blue Owl

Nov 21, 2022, 12:36:11 PM11/21/22
to PyScripter
When I create a function, by default PyScripter will change the color of the function to red.  Cool.  This is what I want.

But when I use that function later in the script, it's just plain white text.

Example:

def openFile (filename):  # note the function is in red text.
    code....

openFile(filename) # note the function is NOT colored at all.

This is making my code harder to read/decipher.

Any fixes?

PyScripter

Nov 21, 2022, 7:16:12 PM11/21/22
to PyScripter
I am not sure what you are referring to.  Could you provide a complete example with some screenshots?
Also, which version of PyScripter are you using?

Blue Owl

Nov 21, 2022, 7:55:10 PM11/21/22
to PyScripter
Sure.  Here's a screenshot from Visual Studio Code (first pic below).  The function name is color coded as is the subsequent function call at the bottom of the example code.   But in PyScripter (the 2nd picture), the function isn't color coded when it's called, only after it's defined.  Is there a way that every occurrence of a function would get color coded?

VSC_Example_Function_ColorCoding.jpgPyScripter_Example_Function_ColorCoding.jpg

Blue Owl

Nov 21, 2022, 7:55:52 PM11/21/22
to PyScripter
Oh, and I'm using version 4.1.1.0.

PyScripter

Nov 21, 2022, 8:12:51 PM11/21/22
to PyScripter
Interesting.  My VS Code does not color function calls.
VSC.png

PyScripter does a make the distinction between function names and other identifiers, except in the definition of classes and functions.   You can customize the coloring of identifiers, but you cannot show differently function calls from other identifiers (variables). This may be implemented in the future.

Blue Owl

Nov 21, 2022, 8:15:31 PM11/21/22
to PyScripter
Someone mentioned that maybe a linter would do this?  I'm new to programming so I'm not exactly sure where I'd start here.  Is that something that could work here?

jf...@ms4.hinet.net

Nov 21, 2022, 8:20:37 PM11/21/22
to PyScripter
I think it's a normal behavior to color coded the function name at definition only, not everywhere else. What to do when it appears in a comment, in class, or even as a local variable?

readys...@gmail.com 在 2022年11月22日 星期二凌晨1:36:11 [UTC+8] 的信中寫道:

PyScripter

Nov 21, 2022, 8:23:26 PM11/21/22
to PyScripter
This is syntax highlighting.  PyScripter uses its own python syntax highlighter.   Implementing the different coloring of function calls is not very hard, but you are the first to request that.
If you want to contribute to the project you can help by for instance:

  • hanging around and asking/answering questions here
  • submitting feature requests and bug reports at the project repo.
  • helping with translations and documentation

Blue Owl

Nov 21, 2022, 8:59:55 PM11/21/22
to PyScripter
Ah.  Well thank you for looking into this and getting back to me.

As mentioned, I'm new to programming, have only used VSC aside from PyScripter, and don't really know what's standard and what isn't.  Visual Studio Code was extremely difficult to get working with some GDAL stuff (spatial/image/vector analysis if you aren't familiar), which I'm currently working on, and was looking for an alternative.  PyScripter was recommended as being a great lightweight alternative.  I still like it, but did enjoy the function call highlighting in VSC.  Interesting that your version of VSC didn't seem to do it.

Since I am so new, I'm not sure I'd be a lot of help around here.

Thank you again.

peet....@gmail.com

Nov 22, 2022, 9:07:06 AM11/22/22
to pyscr...@googlegroups.com

Sometimes, as I enter code, PyScripter flags syntax errors that aren’t real (see above).  However, the code runs fine – there are no errors.  The code above was entered in one continuous input, line by line.

Running the code leaves the ‘error squiggles’ intact.

But, taking that ‘break’ as an example, if, at the end of the code, I go and un-indent and then re-indent the break, the squiggles disappear.

Any ideas?

Peet

peet....@gmail.com

Nov 22, 2022, 9:08:44 AM11/22/22
to pyscr...@googlegroups.com

Sorry, didn’t trim off previous question!

image001.png

Albert Prauser

Nov 22, 2022, 10:55:06 AM11/22/22
to pyscr...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
There is a missing operation between if and brake.

Type between if and brake pass.

If ....
    pass   #if no fuctional code there
    brake

Best regards

PyScripter

Nov 22, 2022, 5:16:00 PM11/22/22
to PyScripter
Which version of PyScripter are you using?
A few points:
- In the last couple of options there is an option under Tools, Options, IDE Options, Language Server "Check syntax as you type"
If checked whenever you type anything the source code is syntax checked.  If false, syntax checking happens just when you open or save a file.  In version 4.2.1 the default is the latter.
- Syntax checking in the last couple of versions is based on the Jedi Language Server diagnostics and may not always lead to a compilation error.
- You can get an explanation of the error by hovering the mouse on top of the error (inside the red squiggly line).

Albert Prauser

Nov 23, 2022, 12:59:50 AM11/23/22
to pyscr...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

"But, taking that ‘break’ as an example, if, at the end of the code, I go and un-indent and then re-indent the break, the squiggles disappear."

I think there is mixing ident between space and tab.

In the edit-option you can check - convert tab to space.

Best regards
Karlsson

peet....@gmail.com

Nov 23, 2022, 2:56:05 AM11/23/22
to pyscr...@googlegroups.com

V4.2.1.0; Python 3.11

Just to repeat, the code runs just fine.

If I outdent each line then re-indent, false errors disappear.

image001.png
image002.png

peet....@gmail.com

Nov 23, 2022, 4:36:21 AM11/23/22
to pyscr...@googlegroups.com

No, that’s not the problem (and by-the-by I always use spaces anyway).

The code runs perfectly - complete *with* the supposed errors.  In other words, code is erroneously being flagged as having errors.

Peet

Nov 23, 2022, 7:19:36 AM11/23/22
to PyScripter
Could you please submit a bug report at Issues · pyscripter/pyscripter (github.com) next time this happens, attaching the script?

In any case, I would recommend setting Tools, Options, IDE Options, Language Server "Check syntax as you type" to False.   You script would then be only checked when you open or save a file.

Indentation errors can creep in when you copy paste code say from web pages.  You can see the whitespace characters by pressing the "Show special characters" button.

Screenshot 2022-11-23 141714.png

Flip Flop

Jun 11, 2023, 7:45:21 AM6/11/23
to PyScripter
how to put output panel in default mode?

PyScripter

Jun 11, 2023, 11:17:04 AM6/11/23
to PyScripter
> how to put output panel in default mode?

Not sure what you mean.  Could you please explain?