updating pyqtgraph-core ?

Jeremy Webster

May 14, 2018, 6:59:07 PM5/14/18
to pyqtgraph
Hey

I'm thinking about embedding pyqtgraph as a sub-package of my project as described in http://pyqtgraph.org/documentation/how_to_use.html

but I noticed that there haven't been any chages to pyqtgraph-core in 3 years

Are there plans to update that anytime soon?  Can I use the current main pyqtgraph branch from github instead of the core?

Great package btw

Jeremy

Jeremy Webster

May 16, 2018, 10:21:24 AM5/16/18
to pyqtgraph
So no?

Luke Campagnola

May 17, 2018, 11:15:00 PM5/17/18
to pyqt...@googlegroups.com
So, some caveats first:

* I am using this subtree method in one of my projects, and I am not totally convinced it is worth the extra effort.
* If you have custom changes to pyqtgraph that you want to keep in sync with changes to the parent project, AND you feel really comfortable with git, then this might be a reasonable option.

That said, the core branch doesn't really need to be updated, because the way (I think) you should use it
as as a starting point for creating your own core branch--you would clone the core into your package and then pull from the develop branch to bring it up to date. At that point you "own" that core branch; you only update it when you are ready to.

If you're still interested, I can post some more specific information (especially command examples) of how I use subtrees.

Jeremy Webster

May 21, 2018, 10:55:09 AM5/21/18
to pyqtgraph
Thanks for the reply. I'm making a couple of in-house applications for research purposes and we will probably take the "we want a program that will work, and then we want to freeze it" approach.  If they get used a lot, then we will continue development though.

I see what you're saying about pulling from the development branch.  That makes sense.  I'm learning python and git and everything as I go, so any command examples, etc, of how you do things would certainly  be very helpful.

Thanks

On Mon, May 14, 2018 at 3:59 PM, Jeremy Webster <jweb...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hey

I'm thinking about embedding pyqtgraph as a sub-package of my project as described in http://pyqtgraph.org/documentation/how_to_use.html

but I noticed that there haven't been any chages to pyqtgraph-core in 3 years

Are there plans to update that anytime soon?  Can I use the current main pyqtgraph branch from github instead of the core?

Great package btw

Jeremy

Luke Campagnola

Jun 12, 2018, 6:28:52 PM6/12/18
to pyqt...@googlegroups.com
The problem with this approach to freezing is that you will have other dependencies that need to be frozen as well. Numpy, for example, has undergone some significant API changes in the last few years, so older versions of pyqtgraph are not compatible with newer versions of numpy.

So if you really want your project frozen, then you probably need to freeze most (maybe all) of its dependencies as well. If you're doing that, then it doesn't really make sense to go through the extra effort of merging pyqtgraph into your repository; better to just document the version or commit ID that you are using.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pyqtgraph/df61f441-d4c1-4e1d-9fec-0f2f2c76abe2%40googlegroups.com.

Jeremy Webster

Jun 13, 2018, 2:59:38 PM6/13/18
to pyqtgraph
 yeah, i agree, I'll try to do things the 'normal' way

Great work btw