Running again for a PSF board seat in 2022

Iqbal Abdullah

Jun 7, 2022, 1:24:25 AM6/7/22
to PyCon Organizers APAC
Hi folks,

There are 4 things I would like you to help with:

1. I believe most of you are spending hours managing or contributing to the Python ecosystem. If you do, you are eligible to become a voting member. Please register as a voting member. Learn more about the different memberships here
2. Once you're registered, please nominate for me
3. When the election starts, please vote for me
4. And the most important thing: Please run with me. It's not a competition between us because we can vote for multiple nominees, and from my point of view anyone from this group of ours who is elected to the PSF board is a win for all of us here. If you do run with me, I will nominate and also vote for you. I will also help review your nomination statement if you'd like me to. I attach here the draft of my nomination statement as a reference and inspiration if you're not sure what to write.

More information on the elections as sent by Deb (of the PSF):

Timeline:

    Nominations are open, Wednesday, June 1st 12:00 PM Eastern
    Board Director Nomination cut-off: Wednesday, June 15, 2022 AoE
    Voter application cut-off date: Wednesday, June 15, 2022 AoE
    Announce candidates: Thursday, June 16th
    Voting start date: Monday, June 20, 2022 AoE
    Voting end date: Friday, June 30, 2022 AoE

Nominations should be made through this form (Note: you will need to sign into or create your python.org user account first). You can nominate yourself or someone else, but no one will be forced to run, so you may want to consider reaching out to someone before nominating them.

You need to be a contributing, managing, supporting, or fellow member by June 15th to vote in this election. If you have questions about membership or nominations please email psf-el...@python.org

--
@PyConTW will be hosting #PyConAPAC2022 from 3rd to 4th Sept 2022.
Follow PyCon APAC here: https://twitter.com/pyconapac

James Ing Wei Tang

Jun 7, 2022, 8:04:07 AM6/7/22
to Iqbal Abdullah, PyCon Organizers APAC
Hi Iqbal,

I do see Kwon Han and Georgi raising their hands to run together with you.
It sounds like a good strategy, plus your determination to run for 3rd round motivates me. I have yet to decide to run together but I need some thoughts as this is quite a big commitment if elected.

Also my profile is not as "shiny" as you all.

Best regards,
James

Iqbal Abdullah

Jun 7, 2022, 8:16:57 AM6/7/22
to James Ing Wei Tang, PyCon Organizers APAC
Please do.

If any of us here are motivated by seeing us run together, at least for me, I believe one of the main targets of me running has been achieved.
To James: I have to say that they'll be commitment, of course. For my part, I intend to pull back from PyCon APAC work and spend that time for PSF work if I were to be elected. A shiny "profile" _might_ help you get elected, but at this point I would say that's not the point. Showing that we're here, we care and we want to be counted is more important.

As I wrote in my previous email, it's not a competition: You can vote for as many nominees as you want. So come one, come all!

Iqbal Abdullah

Jun 19, 2022, 5:57:29 PM6/19/22
to PyCon Organizers APAC
Folks,

A friendly reminder that you should have received you voting ballot by now if you have registered as an eligible PSF voter.

Sometimes the ballot gets in the spam folder, so if you didn't see yours it might be there.

If you still can't find your ballot but you think you should have, try contacting psf-...@python.org and they might be able to help you out.

We have 24 nominations this year, and I am very happy that 3 of them are from this group. I have gone through all of them and based on what the nominees want to achieve and what they are representing, have basically decided who I will vote for.

Happy voting!

Iqbal Abdullah

Jul 1, 2022, 9:58:51 PM7/1/22
to PyCon Organizers APAC
Hello fine folks!

If you've been following the PSF Board of Elections for 2022, you'll know that the results are out. We had 3 nominations from our group: Kwon Han, Georgi and myself, and unfortunately none of us were elected to the board.
I have written my thoughts about the elections this year here

Thank you all of you for participating and supporting us. We still have a long way to go in terms of representation on the PSF board, but we'll get there.