resource collector with multiple 'tag !=' test

Isaiah Frantz

Sep 21, 2016, 3:35:35 PM9/21/16
to Puppet Users
Hello,
I am trying to realize users and am not getting what I expect with multiple != test.
Here is a simplified version that I have tested with puppet gem 4.2.2 and 4.6.2 (results were the same for all tests):
cat t.ppt.pp (common to all tests):
@notify {'This is a test 1':
        tag => 'one'
}
@notify {'This is a test 2':
        tag => 'two'
}
@notify {'This is a test 3':
        tag => ['one', 'two']
}
@notify {'This is a test 4':
        tag => 'three'
}
Notify <| test_goes_here |>

First 3 expected:
tail -1 t.pp
Notify <| tag == 'one' or tag == 'two' |>

puppet apply t.pp
Notice: Compiled catalog for defiant.cequintecid.com in environment production in 0.70 seconds
Notice: This is a test 1
Notice: /Stage[main]/Main/Notify[This is a test 1]/message: defined 'message' as 'This is a test 1'
Notice: This is a test 2
Notice: /Stage[main]/Main/Notify[This is a test 2]/message: defined 'message' as 'This is a test 2'
Notice: This is a test 3
Notice: /Stage[main]/Main/Notify[This is a test 3]/message: defined 'message' as 'This is a test 3'
Notice: Applied catalog in 0.02 seconds

Test 3 only, as expected:
tail -1 t.pp
Notify <| tag == 'one' and tag == 'two' |>

puppet apply t.pp
Notice: Compiled catalog for defiant.cequintecid.com in environment production in 0.47 seconds
Notice: This is a test 3
Notice: /Stage[main]/Main/Notify[This is a test 3]/message: defined 'message' as 'This is a test 3'
Notice: Applied catalog in 0.02 seconds

Now we get to the '!=' tests.
with a single tag it works as expected so I wont take space here to show that.
With multiple tags, it does not work as expected

Since tags is a hash that contains lots of things, including all explicit tag's set on a resource. The == and != operators are supposed to act like contains and !contains functions (or so I thought)
Here I expect to only get test 4. 1 and 2 are filtered because one of the and'ed tests is false.
3 should fail too because both test are false: tags contains both 'one' and 'two'.
tail -1 t.pp
Notify <| tag != 'one' and tag != 'two' |>

puppet apply t.pp
Notice: Compiled catalog for defiant.cequintecid.com in environment production in 0.48 seconds
Notice: This is a test 3
Notice: /Stage[main]/Main/Notify[This is a test 3]/message: defined 'message' as 'This is a test 3'
Notice: This is a test 4
Notice: /Stage[main]/Main/Notify[This is a test 4]/message: defined 'message' as 'This is a test 4'
Notice: Applied catalog in 0.01 seconds

Frankly, I also expect that 3 should be filtered from the or version too because neither of the tests should be true if this is a contains function and not one that tests against each hash value.
tail -1 t.pp
Notify <| tag != 'one' or tag != 'two' |>

puppet apply t.pp
Notice: Compiled catalog for defiant.cequintecid.com in environment production in 0.58 seconds
Notice: This is a test 1
Notice: /Stage[main]/Main/Notify[This is a test 1]/message: defined 'message' as 'This is a test 1'
Notice: This is a test 2
Notice: /Stage[main]/Main/Notify[This is a test 2]/message: defined 'message' as 'This is a test 2'
Notice: This is a test 3
Notice: /Stage[main]/Main/Notify[This is a test 3]/message: defined 'message' as 'This is a test 3'
Notice: This is a test 4
Notice: /Stage[main]/Main/Notify[This is a test 4]/message: defined 'message' as 'This is a test 4'
Notice: Applied catalog in 0.02 seconds

Two boolean falses dont make a true do they?
Im confused  :(

Johan De Wit

Sep 22, 2016, 2:30:52 AM9/22/16
to puppet...@googlegroups.com

The query could be explained as follows :

If iether there is a tag that is not 'one', or there is a tag that is not two, then it will be collected.

test1 : tag => one is != two, so that gives us true, and this collected

test2: tag => two is != one, so here also gives us true and thus collected

test3: tag => [ one , two].  as soon as there is one tag in the array that return true, than the resource is collected.  In your case one != two and aslo  two!=one, which makes the rersource collected.

test4: tag => three differs from both one and two

It is clear one needs to be carefull when defining the query in a collector.  Don't assume it works as we are used to work in conditionals as we are used in normal programming.

I hope i didn't confuse too much.

Hth

johan

Upcoming Trainings:

Bacula Training | https://www.open-future.be/calendar

Puppet Training | https://www.open-future.be/calendar

Linux Training | https://www.open-future.be/calendar

Zabbix Training | https://www.open-future.be/calendar

Subscribe to our newsletter: http://eepurl.com/BUG8H

Isaiah Frantz

Sep 22, 2016, 2:44:39 PM9/22/16
to Puppet Users
I disagree, the way it works breaks basic logic.
With the == case, if the property is an array type, the code will only return objects that contain the term.
The != case only checks for equality, regardless of the object type. It *should*, in my opinion, follow basic negation rules and do the opposite of the == case. We should get back objects that dont equal or contain the term.

That makes sense and follows all the normal behaviour you should expect from searching through objects, array or otherwise.

I have submitted a jira ticket with a pull request if you are interested in more detail:

Johan De Wit

Sep 23, 2016, 2:25:46 AM9/23/16
to puppet...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

I'm aware it is a bit 'unlogic' :) but that's how it works now.

Thx for the ticket, will follow it to see what happens

Grts

Johan