Puppet Language Style Guide update

Jean Bond

Jan 12, 2017, 1:52:51 PM1/12/17
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Hello!

We've been hard at work on a Puppet 4 update to the Puppet Language Style Guide, and today we are pleased to publish the updated style guide. The guide has also been moved within the Puppet docs site to reside in versioned Puppet docs: https://docs.puppet.com/puppet/latest/style_guide.html . As the guide is now with versioned Puppet docs, it is no longer versioned in and of itself. Instead, the goal is to update and improve the guide on a more continual basis.

As all style guides are (or should be), this style guide is a living document. In addition, Puppet 4 style is still evolving and not all outstanding questions have been answered. In short, this style guide is probably imperfect! If you want to make suggestions or raise issues for discussion, we would love to hear from you. To send us style guide feedback, please either:
* respond to this email
* file a ticket under the epic DOCUMENT-637 (https://tickets.puppetlabs.com/browse/DOCUMENT-637)

If you see a simple or error typo in text or in code, feel free to either file a ticket or issue a pull request to the latest version of the style guide (https://github.com/puppetlabs/puppet-docs/tree/master/source).

My deepest thanks to the community for all of the contributions to this revision; your help was invaluable. I look forward to working with the community on improving and refining this guide.

Best,

Jean
--
Jean Bond
Technical Writer

Rob Nelson

Jan 12, 2017, 2:04:15 PM1/12/17
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Jean, thank you for the hard work taking point on this much needed revision! Looking forward to making good use of this with puppet-lint.

Peter Faller

Jan 13, 2017, 2:38:26 AM1/13/17
to Puppet Users
Has the Gepetto auto-formatter been updated (or will it be updated) to match the style guide? Or is there another way of automatically formatting manifests to match the style guide?

Henrik Lindberg

Jan 13, 2017, 5:03:48 AM1/13/17
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Geppetto is pretty much up to date on the style guide as there are no
fundamental changes to the formatting in terms of indentation and
spacing. It is however somewhat behind on the language support as it has
no understanding of the type system and some other recent additions.
Geppetto is no longer maintained by Puppet as announced quite a long
time ago.

An IDE that has recently updated their support for Puppet is RubyMine.
It is well worth taking a look at. Don't know what kind of formatting
they offer though.

Best,
- henrik

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/puppet-users/d36a42d7-d46e-4cc5-b198-8b7b396031e3%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/puppet-users/d36a42d7-d46e-4cc5-b198-8b7b396031e3%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Visit my Blog "Puppet on the Edge"
http://puppet-on-the-edge.blogspot.se/

James Perry

Feb 13, 2017, 12:24:52 PM2/13/17
to Puppet Users
Are the any open source or free replacements for Geppetto?   RubyMine is like $200/year, which is outside of an IT budget of $0/year for tools.

On Friday, January 13, 2017 at 5:03:48 AM UTC-5, Henrik Lindberg wrote:
On 13/01/17 08:38, Peter Faller wrote:
> Has the Gepetto auto-formatter been updated (or will it be updated) to
> match the style guide? Or is there another way of automatically
> formatting manifests to match the style guide?

Geppetto is pretty much up to date on the style guide as there are no
fundamental changes to the formatting in terms of indentation and
spacing. It is however somewhat behind on the language support as it has
no understanding of the type system and some other recent additions.
Geppetto is no longer maintained by Puppet as announced quite a long
time ago.

An IDE that has recently updated their support for Puppet is RubyMine.
It is well worth taking a look at. Don't know what kind of formatting
they offer though.

Best,
- henrik

Christopher Wood

Feb 13, 2017, 1:36:27 PM2/13/17
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Same budget for tools here. I get along just fine with a combination of puppet-mode for emacs and the pre-commit hook from David Walhstrom's puppet-git-hooks project.

https://github.com/voxpupuli/puppet-mode

https://github.com/drwahl/puppet-git-hooks

(Although I obviously recommend you install the pre-receive hook on the server side of wherever you're pushing to.)

On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 09:24:51AM -0800, James Perry wrote:
> Are the any open source or free replacements for Geppetto?   RubyMine is
> like $200/year, which is outside of an IT budget of $0/year for tools.
>
> On Friday, January 13, 2017 at 5:03:48 AM UTC-5, Henrik Lindberg wrote:
>
> On 13/01/17 08:38, Peter Faller wrote:
> > Has the Gepetto auto-formatter been updated (or will it be updated) to
> > match the style guide? Or is there another way of automatically
> > formatting manifests to match the style guide?
> >

> Geppetto is pretty much up to date on the style guide as there are no
> fundamental changes to the formatting in terms of indentation and
> spacing. It is however somewhat behind on the language support as it has
> no understanding of the type system and some other recent additions.
> Geppetto is no longer maintained by Puppet as announced quite a long
> time ago.
>
> An IDE that has recently updated their support for Puppet is RubyMine.
> It is well worth taking a look at. Don't know what kind of formatting
> they offer though.
>
> Best,
> - henrik
>

> > --
> >
> [3]https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/puppet-users/d36a42d7-d46e-4cc5-b198-8b7b396031e3%40googlegroups.com
> >
> <[4]https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/puppet-users/d36a42d7-d46e-4cc5-b198-8b7b396031e3%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

> References
>
> Visible links
> 1. javascript:
> 2. javascript:
> 3. https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/puppet-users/d36a42d7-d46e-4cc5-b198-8b7b396031e3%40googlegroups.com
> 4. https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/puppet-users/d36a42d7-d46e-4cc5-b198-8b7b396031e3%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> 5. https://groups.google.com/d/optout
> 6. mailto:puppet-users...@googlegroups.com
> 7. https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/puppet-users/f0649350-e4df-4bf1-aa13-3f69978e6848%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> 8. https://groups.google.com/d/optout

Thomas Müller

Feb 14, 2017, 5:36:45 AM2/14/17
to Puppet Users
I'm using vim with syntastic for code checks while editing.

For git hooks checks I use overcommit - a flexible git hook manager.

This is not a GUI but works great. :-)

Thomas

https://github.com/vim-syntastic/syntastic
https://github.com/brigade/overcommit

Ramin K

Feb 14, 2017, 2:09:58 PM2/14/17
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Also a fan of David Walhstrom's git hooks and we use them server side too.

Ramin