problems installing.

Steve Redlich

Jul 20, 2020, 5:00:29 PM7/20/20
to Puppet Users
I'm not able to setup the puppet apt repository on ubuntu 18.04

root@lynx:/tmp# dpkg -i puppet-tools-release-bionic.deb
(Reading database ... 239282 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack puppet-tools-release-bionic.deb ...
Unpacking puppet-tools-release (1.0.0-4bionic) over (1.0.0-4bionic) ...
Setting up puppet-tools-release (1.0.0-4bionic) ...
chmod: cannot access '/etc/apt/sources.list.d/puppet-tools.list': No such file or directory

root@lynx:/tmp# touch /etc/apt/sources.list.d/puppet-tools.list
root@lynx:/tmp# dpkg -i puppet-tools-release-bionic.deb
(Reading database ... 239282 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack puppet-tools-release-bionic.deb ...
Unpacking puppet-tools-release (1.0.0-4bionic) over (1.0.0-4bionic) ...
Setting up puppet-tools-release (1.0.0-4bionic) ...
root@lynx:/tmp# cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/puppet-tools.list
root@lynx:/tmp#
(note empty file)
I would appreciate it if someone could reply with a contents of  the puppet-tools.list apt repository listing so I can get started with puppet.

Steve Redlich

Jul 21, 2020, 12:59:16 AM7/21/20
to Puppet Users
After waiting a long time and playing unsuccessfuly with apt, I was able to extract puppet-tools.list from the .deb using dpkg-deb and install it.
to help the next person with this problem,

# Puppet Tools bionic Repository
deb http://apt.puppet.com bionic puppet-tools

Morgan Rhodes

Jul 21, 2020, 5:15:25 PM7/21/20
to Puppet Users
Hi Steve,

What URL did you get the puppet-tools-release package from? I spun up an ubuntu 18.04 VM this morning and I was able to install the package from http://apt.puppetlabs.com/puppet-tools-release-bionic.deb without issue.

Thanks,
Morgan

Morgan Rhodes
Release Engineering
she/her/hers

Steve Redlich

Jul 22, 2020, 11:45:28 AM7/22/20
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Same URI. My desktop has been dist-upgraded A few times and there’s leftover bits of crud that apt and dpkg can’t figure out. I’m switching to puppet after failing with chef so who knows what caused the install to fail.
Thanks

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Puppet Users" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/puppet-users/CA%2BFnDv3jXzuTdc8XE9z4vatETnxKT0wPDyOHv00x6nyyrDiDtQ%40mail.gmail.com.

Dirk Heinrichs

Jul 23, 2020, 1:39:48 AM7/23/20
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Am Montag, den 20.07.2020, 12:52 -0700 schrieb Steve Redlich:

root@lynx:/tmp# dpkg -i puppet-tools-release-bionic.deb

Hmm, that used to be "puppet-release-...". When has this been changed to "puppet-tools-release-..."?

BTW: Although this package doesn't have any dependencies, other packages might have some, so it's better to use

apt-get install ./package.deb

to get them properly resolved.

HTH...

Dirk
--
Dirk Heinrichs
Senior Systems Engineer, Delivery Pipeline

signature.asc

Morgan Rhodes

Jul 23, 2020, 3:06:03 PM7/23/20
to Puppet Users
Hi Dirk,

The `puppet-tools` repo contains bolt and pdk so that you can include that repo without worrying about upgrading your puppet-agent, puppetserver, etc packages.