Customizing existing types / providers

Andrew Schofield

Feb 2, 2018, 11:05:26 AM2/2/18
to Puppet Users
Hi all,

I'm trying to customize the existing package type by adding an additional option for the ensure option so that I would be able to do the following:

package { 'RHSA-2018:0001' :
  ensure => 'errata'
}

I have a new provider named errata which sort of works but is far too sensitive to other options (as I can't find out how to customize the type) I'd rather not specify a new provider unless there is no other way. The idea behind this is to extend the default Package resource type to include support for errata on Fedora / RHEL systems.

Does anybody have any hints and/or links to documentation which might explain how (or even if) this is achievable? My googling isn't really bringing much useful information.
Thanks,
Andrew

Peter Faller

Feb 5, 2018, 8:28:39 AM2/5/18
to Puppet Users
Are the errata available as YUM packages? In that case it might be simpler to create a separate repository (using createrepo) and a Puppet yumrepo resource.