[ANN] Puppet Development Kit (pdk) preview (0.6.0)

Lindsey Smith

Aug 8, 2017, 10:58:47 PM8/8/17
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
I am happy to announce the release of version 0.6.0 of the Puppet Development Kit (PDK) to the Puppet community. The open-source PDK facilitates an easy, unified development workflow for Puppet modules, and should appeal both to newcomers and experienced developers.

For a list of enhancements and bug fixes since the 0.5.0 release, please refer to the included CHANGELOG (https://github.com/puppetlabs/pdk/blob/master/CHANGELOG.md#v060-2017-08-08).

With the PDK you can:
  • Quickly get started with module development best practices and tools to develop, test and publish high-quality Puppet modules with confidence
  • Shift quality to the left by catching issues earlier and faster, before Puppet code is applied to live infrastructure
  • Unit test modules from their workstation to ensure that Puppet code is creating and managing resources as intended
You can learn more about how to install and use the PDK by reviewing the README (https://github.com/puppetlabs/pdk) or the Getting Started guide (https://github.com/puppetlabs/pdk/blob/master/docs/pdk.md).

OS native packages are available for a variety of platforms:
The OS native packages constitute a complete, "batteries-included" development environment including Ruby and all other dependencies necessary for using the PDK.

In addition, the core 'pdk' gem is available on Rubygems (https://rubygems.org/gems/pdk).

Note that we consider this a pre-release/tech preview. This iteration of the PDK is feature complete and we want to get your feedback now as we work towards a 1.0 release.

Please report any issues you find as a ticket on the PDK (https://github.com/puppetlabs/pdk/issues/) project in GitHub.

Known Issues
  • Windows packages require PowerShell 5+ and a script “ExecutionPolicy” of at least “RemoteSigned” (Future releases will work all the way up to “AllSigned”.)