Ordering agent runs

rjl

Oct 6, 2015, 2:39:50 PM10/6/15
to Puppet Users
Hi All,
I have an odd requirement to contend with. We have puppet clients that have peers. While a catalog is being executed on one client, its peer must not execute its catalog until the other is complete. Each client has only one peer. Has anyone done something similar? I have not yet been able to derive a good solution.

Scratching my head...

Thanks in advance.

rjl

Martin Alfke

Oct 6, 2015, 3:04:07 PM10/6/15
to puppet...@googlegroups.com

On 06 Oct 2015, at 11:39, rjl <rjli...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
> I have an odd requirement to contend with. We have puppet clients that have peers. While a catalog is being executed on one client, its peer must not execute its catalog until the other is complete. Each client has only one peer. Has anyone done something similar? I have not yet been able to derive a good solution.
>
> Scratching my head…

Hi rjl,

you might want to view or attend PuppetConf keynote.
https://puppetlabs.com/introducing-puppet-application-orchestration

Best,
Martin

> Thanks in advance.
>
> rjl

Rick Lindal

Oct 6, 2015, 3:20:44 PM10/6/15
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the link Martin. We are using open source.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Puppet Users" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/puppet-users/AD749615-4ABC-429F-8C15-0B22EC6E05C5%40gmail.com.

Xav Paice

Oct 7, 2015, 5:21:59 PM10/7/15
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
On 07/10/15 08:20, Rick Lindal wrote:
Thanks for the link Martin. We are using open source.

Same - that's why I've started to look at using Salt to drive orchestration for Puppet - see https://docs.saltstack.com/en/latest/ref/modules/all/salt.modules.puppet.html

I like Puppet a lot, but orchestration is the biggest headache.  It's great to see Puppetlabs produce a solution but sad it's not open source, which is driving me to look at alternatives.  Combining the two means I don't have to walk away from the massive investment in Puppet dev we have already made, while enjoying the benefit of plugging the holes.

Thomas Müller

Oct 8, 2015, 2:27:14 AM10/8/15
to Puppet Users

Am Mittwoch, 7. Oktober 2015 23:21:59 UTC+2 schrieb Xav Paice:
On 07/10/15 08:20, Rick Lindal wrote:
Thanks for the link Martin. We are using open source.

sounds like it will be made available later on:

"Language changes used to model applications will be available as part of Open Source Puppet, with additional open source tooling coming in subsequent updates."

Rick Lindal

Oct 8, 2015, 11:46:22 AM10/8/15
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Thanks again. I certainly hope it will be made available to open source. I like puppet but we are considering switching to SALT due to the lack of orchestration capability.

Christopher Wood

Oct 8, 2015, 12:42:25 PM10/8/15
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Oct 08, 2015 at 09:45:54AM -0600, Rick Lindal wrote:
> Thanks again. I certainly hope it will be made available to open source. I
> like puppet but we are considering switching to SALT due to the lack of
> orchestration capability.

I'm nosy, what does salt get you that mcollective doesn't? It's easy enough to find articles comparing puppet to anything but comparisons of orchestration capabilities feel quite rare. (Using mcollective here and while there was a steep learning curve at the start now I have a stack of custom plugins.)

> On Thu, Oct 8, 2015 at 12:27 AM, Thomas Müller <[1]tho...@chaschperli.ch>
> wrote:
>
> Am Mittwoch, 7. Oktober 2015 23:21:59 UTC+2 schrieb Xav Paice:
>
> On 07/10/15 08:20, Rick Lindal wrote:
>
> Thanks for the link Martin. We are using open source.
>
> sounds like it will be made available later on:
> "Language changes used to model applications will be available as part
> of Open Source Puppet, with additional open source tooling coming in
> subsequent updates."

> [4]https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/puppet-users/92710555-a26c-4bc4-9d13-7771fadcdb7e%40googlegroups.com.

> References
>
> Visible links
> 1. mailto:tho...@chaschperli.ch
> 3. mailto:puppet-users...@googlegroups.com
> 4. https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/puppet-users/92710555-a26c-4bc4-9d13-7771fadcdb7e%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> 5. https://groups.google.com/d/optout
> 6. mailto:puppet-users...@googlegroups.com
> 7. https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/puppet-users/CAKHF65gW1QxYj4u5cTNHJnVMOBqoMZeJVD1PBQTUSHyMU3XCWw%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> 8. https://groups.google.com/d/optout

Rick Lindal

Oct 8, 2015, 12:48:51 PM10/8/15
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
The steep learning curve is the problem. From my research, Salt has orchestration built in. Puppet does not. It has been a long process getting a component stack put together and subsequent maintenance is a challenge. Honestly, I don't have the cycles to integrate another component in the stack. :-)

rjl

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/puppet-users/20151008164209.GA10019%40iniquitous.heresiarch.ca.