PuppetDB Catalog Duplication and Multiple Masters

Paul Seymour

Aug 18, 2014, 9:25:57 AM8/18/14
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Using multiple Puppet masters behind SRV records is working well although I suspect the low duplication rates I am seeing is down to the fact the load balancing is split between the nodes and the servername/serverip being recorded is different when hitting the other Puppet master in the pool ? I saw this by switching on the debug setting in PuppetDB and diffing the resulting JSON files.

Would that be the case, or is it something else I am not seeing ?

Any ideas on how to improve this ?

Thanks
Paul

Ken Barber

Aug 18, 2014, 9:56:59 AM8/18/14
to Puppet Users
> Using multiple Puppet masters behind SRV records is working well although I
> suspect the low duplication rates I am seeing is down to the fact the load
> balancing is split between the nodes and the servername/serverip being
> recorded is different when hitting the other Puppet master in the pool ? I
> saw this by switching on the debug setting in PuppetDB and diffing the
> resulting JSON files.

Can you share the pertinent part of the diffs so we can see exactly
what differences you mean? I'm not sure I am aware of the
servername/serverip cases you mention in any core modules or core
resources, perhaps these are being introduced to a custom resource?

Can you also share a picture of your dashboard, so we can see the
duplication rate?

> Would that be the case, or is it something else I am not seeing ?
>
> Any ideas on how to improve this ?

Perhaps, with more details.

ken.

Paul Seymour

Aug 18, 2014, 10:07:02 AM8/18/14
to puppet...@googlegroups.com

On Monday, 18 August 2014 14:56:59 UTC+1, Ken Barber wrote:

Can you share the pertinent part of the diffs so we can see exactly
what differences you mean? I'm not sure I am aware of the
servername/serverip cases you mention in any core modules or core
resources, perhaps these are being introduced to a custom resource?

Can you also share a picture of your dashboard, so we can see the
duplication rate?

> Would that be the case, or is it something else I am not seeing ?
>
> Any ideas on how to improve this ?

Perhaps, with more details.

ken.

Thanks Ken, your reply has prompted me to take a look at something and we have some inline templates that dump some variables.

I will switch these off to see if it takes care of it - and I suspect it will.

If not I will come back to you.

Cheers
Paul