Announce: Puppet Platform 5.3.4 is now available

Molly Waggett

Feb 5, 2018, 3:10:34 PM2/5/18
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
This is a bug-fix release of Puppet Platform. All three components - puppet-agent, PuppetDB, and Puppet Server - have been updated.

This release of Puppet Agent updates Puppet to 5.3.4 and Facter to 3.9.4. Puppet 5.3.4 adds two new settings, `sourceaddress` and `runtimeout`. It also adds module translation distribution to pluginsync, improves Japanese localization, and fixes several bugs. This release also adds support for macOS 10.13 (High Sierra), EL 7 on arm64, and Amazon Linux 2. For details, see the Puppet Agent release notes.

PuppetDB 5.1.4 and Puppet Server 5.1.5 add Debian 9 (Stretch) packages, as well as additional bug fixes. For details, see the Puppet Server and PuppetDB release notes.

Thanks!

--
Molly Waggett
Release Engineer @ Puppet, Inc.

Gavin Williams

Feb 6, 2018, 5:18:13 AM2/6/18
to Puppet Users
Just for community awareness, there appears to be a breaking interaction between this latest Puppet release and rspec-puppet.

Tests are failing with 'no implicit conversion of nil into String'.
Already raised on PL tracker as PUP-8418 [1], and I've just raised against rspec-puppet [2].

So for anyone with unbounded CI/CD pipelines, probably best to pin Puppet to 5.3.3 until the interaction is fixed.

HTH

Gav

SCHAER Frederic

Feb 6, 2018, 6:04:52 AM2/6/18
to puppet...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

On my dev puppetserver, I have  :

# puppet config print environmentpath

/puppet/code/envs

# grep env /etc/puppetlabs/puppet/puppet.conf

    environmentpath = /puppet/code/envs

    environment = preprod

(yes, the puppetserver for dev hosts is in env preprod ;) )

On all client nodes referring to that puppetserver, I see since today :

# puppet agent -t

Warning: Unable to fetch my node definition, but the agent run will continue:

Warning: Could not intern from application/json: Could not find a directory environment named 'dev' anywhere in the path: /etc/puppetlabs/code/environments. Does the directory exist?

Info: Retrieving pluginfacts

(…)

And configuration goes on as before. If I change something in puppet, the change is seen despite the warning.

If I downgrade the puppet-server, this changes nothing.

If I downgrade the puppet-agent, the warning goes away. But configuration fails because of some unfound ruby gems – that’s new:

Error: Could not convert change ensure to string: No such file or directory @ rb_sysopen - /opt/puppetlabs/puppet/lib/ruby/gems/2.4.0/gems/fast_gettext-1.1.0/lib/fast_gettext/vendor/empty.mo

Error: No such file or directory @ rb_sysopen - /opt/puppetlabs/puppet/lib/ruby/gems/2.4.0/gems/fast_gettext-1.1.0/lib/fast_gettext/vendor/empty.mo

The puppet agent indeed has a default config  that I did not specify – and don’t want to, I’m running with a puppetserver :

# puppet config print environmentpath

/etc/puppetlabs/code/environments

# grep env /etc/puppetlabs/puppet/puppet.conf

    environment = dev

ð  Question : what am I doing wrong ?

Thanks

> The puppet agent indeed has a default config that I did not specify –
> and don’t want to, I’m running with a puppetserver :
>
> # puppet config print environmentpath
>
> /etc/puppetlabs/code/environments
>
> # grep env /etc/puppetlabs/puppet/puppet.conf
>
> environment = dev
>
> ð Question : what am I doing wrong ?

I realized this morning (after the update) that updating the RPM (and
likely also the deps) overwrite/enforce various settings:

https://tickets.puppetlabs.com/browse/CPR-515

Maybe you are affected by the same bug?

As I read from your email, you get a warning that puppetserver can't
find things in

/etc/puppetlabs/code/environments

Is this, where your code should live? Are your environments there?

If not, then maybe changing it back to what you had there helps?

To me it looks like puppetserver isn't searching in /puppet/code/envs
but rather /etc/puppetlabs/code/environments

best

~pete

signature.asc

Josh Cooper

Feb 12, 2018, 8:36:09 PM2/12/18
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
This was a regression in puppet-agent 5.3.4 involving non-default environments[1]. It will be fixed in puppet-agent 5.3.5. We have many acceptance tests for this functionality, but unfortunately they did not catch this particular failure mode when the initial node request fails. We'll be updating those tests to avoid regressing in the future[2].

Thanks