Anyone really using Postgres for a Hiera backend?

leam hall

May 13, 2015, 12:45:55 PM5/13/15
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Just wondering. I found some options but don't see any under current development.

Leam

Martin

May 13, 2015, 4:10:29 PM5/13/15
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Funny, I'd rather ask: is anyone *not* using Postgres?

jcbollinger

May 14, 2015, 9:36:25 AM5/14/15
to puppet...@googlegroups.com

On Wednesday, May 13, 2015 at 3:10:29 PM UTC-5, Martin Marcher wrote:
Funny, I'd rather ask: is anyone *not* using Postgres?

Postgres for PuppetDB for sure, but for an Hiera back end?  I'm sure there indeed are people who use a Postgres-based Hiera back end, but I have seen no evidence to suggest that doing so is remotely common.

The most commonly used Hiera backend seems to be the built-in YAML one, which should be no surprise to anyone.  The JSON back end also seems popular, and the eYAML backend sees some use, too.  As judged by traffic on this group, no other Hiera backend moves the needle.

John

Corey Osman

May 14, 2015, 12:15:07 PM5/14/15
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
What is the use case for a SQL hiera backend?  This seems like an oxymoron.  Do you have some sort of UI wrapped around it for data input? Also you could just create a data binding terminus for postgres.

Corey

Tony Thayer

May 19, 2015, 12:47:41 PM5/19/15
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
I used this one a while back: https://github.com/tioteath/hiera-psql

The main issue I ran into was it required a very recent version of Postgres in order to use the JSON column type. I had a django frontend hooked into it to allow for easily updating node definitions.

Tony Thayer

May 19, 2015, 12:50:54 PM5/19/15
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Actually, I just realized I was using my own fork of the original: https://github.com/tthayer/hiera-psql

I'm not using it actively anymore and I doubt my previous employer is still using it either. There is an open issue stating that it doesn't work with the new puppetserver, too: https://github.com/dalen/hiera-psql/issues/7

Garrett Honeycutt

May 19, 2015, 3:03:04 PM5/19/15
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm actually using PostgreSQL for some Hiera data, but using a simple
Sinatra web app to present that data to Hiera. From a security
perspective, this allows me to limit my exposure by only allowing puppet
masters to speak to the web app, which in turn can speak to the
database. It also makes it easier to switch between database backends
and most importantly, do multiple queries and data munging.

Recommend checking out hiera-http[1] and hiera-rest[2] from Craig Dunn
and Ben Ford, respectively.

[1] - https://github.com/crayfishx/hiera-http
[2] - https://github.com/binford2k/hiera-rest

Best regards,
-g

--
Garrett Honeycutt
@learnpuppet

Erik Dalén

Jul 13, 2015, 9:45:24 AM7/13/15
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, I'm not really using puppet server (yet at least) or the postgres hiera backend. So if someone else wants to take over maintainership of it I can transfer the repo ownership.

Tom De Vylder

Jul 22, 2015, 11:08:59 AM7/22/15
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Puppet-Community [1] would be a prime example to take over the maintainership.

Tom