How to check if module in use.

Albert Shih

Feb 25, 2018, 8:44:07 AM2/25/18
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Hi

During time I've got lot of modules. Some are not use anymore. But how can
I check if a module is use by other ?

If the module got a very strange name it's easy, I can do a

find . -type f -name "*pp" -exec grep -l modulename {} \;

and works fine. But what if the name is very short and common ?

Regards
--
Albert SHIH
xmpp: j...@obspm.fr

Thomas Müller

Mar 13, 2018, 4:22:21 AM3/13/18
to Puppet Users

Am Sonntag, 25. Februar 2018 14:44:07 UTC+1 schrieb Albert Shih:
Hi

During time I've got lot of modules. Some are not use anymore. But how can
I check if a module is use by other ?

there is IMHO no easy way to do this.

I've created a (ugly) scripts to query puppetdb to list all used resources of a environment. then another script to create a list of resources out of a file-list. then I can figure out if there are resources/classes/defined types that are not in use anymore.   it won't directly give you the unused modules some indications what is not used anywhere on clients.

Rob Nelson

Mar 13, 2018, 8:02:40 AM3/13/18
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
I haven’t used it in a couple of years, but puppet-ghostbuster was designed to poll puppetdb as you describe, compare it to the module list, and give you a report of unused modules and classes. https://github.com/camptocamp/puppet-ghostbuster?files=1

Rob Nelson

Dan White

Mar 13, 2018, 12:25:59 PM3/13/18
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
How about checking out
/opt/puppetlabs/puppet/cache/state/classes.txt
?

Dan White | d_e_...@icloud.com
“Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.”  (Bill Waterson: Calvin & Hobbes)