Removal of CentOS 8 Support

Puppet Product Updates

Sep 22, 2021, 5:06:52 PM9/22/21

Hello all,

This is an announcement that we’ll be removing support for CentOS 8 in February 2022 because CentOS 8 is EOLed from the vendor in December 2021. For a list of other supported operating systems for your primary server, see the supported operating systems docs.

This removal is in accordance with our platform support lifecycle policy, which can be found on our website here: https://puppet.com/docs/puppet-enterprise/platform-support-lifecycle/

Peter Meier

Sep 24, 2021, 5:27:42 AM9/24/21
to puppet...@googlegroups.com, Puppet Product Updates
Hi All,

> This is an announcement that we’ll be removing support for CentOS 8 in
> February 2022 because CentOS 8 is EOLed from the vendor in December
> 2021. For a list of other supported operating systems for your primary
> server, see the supported operating systems
> <https://puppet.com/docs/pe/latest/supported_operating_systems.html#supported_operating_systems_and_devices-supported-primary-server-platforms>docs.

Are you going to add CentOS Stream 8, Alma Linux 8 and Rocky Linux 8 ?

Given all of them are RHEL 8 based (Stream 8 just tracking ahead, but
still it's RHEL 8), I would expect it to just work. But Since CentOS 8
was officially supported what needs to be done to get these EL 8
releases to the same level?

~pete

Nacho Barrientos

Oct 1, 2021, 3:40:44 AM10/1/21
to puppet...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

Peter Meier <peter...@immerda.ch> writes:

> Hi All,
>
>> This is an announcement that we’ll be removing support for CentOS 8
>> in February 2022 because CentOS 8 is EOLed from the vendor in
>> December 2021. For a list of other supported operating systems for
>> your primary server, see the supported operating systems
>> <https://puppet.com/docs/pe/latest/supported_operating_systems.html#supported_operating_systems_and_devices-supported-primary-server-platforms>docs.
>
> Are you going to add CentOS Stream 8, Alma Linux 8 and Rocky Linux 8 ?

It's good to see that there will be nightly builds for Rocky and Alma.

Regarding CentOS Stream 8, we'd be also interested in learning what your
feelings are about compatibility for the server and the agent.

Thanks.

--
bye
Nacho

Aidan Nathanson

Oct 1, 2021, 12:39:28 PM10/1/21
to Puppet Users
Hi Nacho,

Thanks for reaching out! We are looking into adding support for CentOS Stream 8 on the agent side only. Let us know if you have additional questions!

Best,

Aidan Nathanson
Principal Program Manager, R&D

Nacho Barrientos

Oct 7, 2021, 8:51:09 AM10/7/21
to puppet...@googlegroups.com

Aidan Nathanson <aidan.n...@puppet.com> writes:

> Hi Nacho,

Hi Aidan,

> Thanks for reaching out! We are looking into adding support for CentOS
> Stream 8 on the agent side only. Let us know if you have additional
> questions!

Thanks for your reply. For us it'd be particularity problematic not
having support on the server side, may I ask why are you only looking
into adding support on the agent side? The fact that CentOS 8 goes away
but the natural successor is not considered is somewhat surprising.

Also, what are your feelings about CentOS Stream 9?

Thanks a bunch.

Aidan Nathanson

Oct 8, 2021, 12:24:07 PM10/8/21
to Puppet Users
Hey Nacho,

Great questions! I'm adding Margaret Lee, one of our Product Managers, to help get your questions answered. She'll be back from PTO on Monday! Thanks.

Best,

Aidan Nathanson
Principal Program Manager, R&D
Pronoun: He/Him (What is this?)
Puppet.  The shortest path to better software.

Be open. Be direct. Show respect. | Be the team you want to work with. | Own. Involve. Solve. Share. | Solve your customer’s problem. | Community empowered. Empowering community.

Peter Meier

Oct 11, 2021, 3:48:40 AM10/11/21
to puppet...@googlegroups.com, Aidan Nathanson
Hi

> Great questions! I'm adding Margaret Lee, one of our Product Managers,
> to help get your questions answered. She'll be back from PTO on Monday!
> Thanks.

Just to re-iterate what I brought up a few months ago: It would be very
welcoming, when Puppet ships at least a "supported" agent (or at least
an installable as preview) as early as possible for CentOS Stream 9.

This would allow other communities (e.g. voxpupuli
(https://github.com/voxpupuli/beaker-hostgenerator/pull/225), etc.) to
start working on supporting CentOS Stream 9 as early as possible and
thus would also likely help to boost adoption of puppet within RHEL 9
environments and also keep it in place for folks who are upgrading to EL 9.

From a technical perspective, it is likely similar to how the agent is
bundled for Fedora 34 / 35 - so I don't see a lot to be done for a dev
preview.

~pete

Eric Green

Oct 11, 2021, 12:38:22 PM10/11/21
to Puppet Users

I am not an employee of Puppet Labs, but for our own product, we decided that we were not going to support Centos Stream because a) none of our customers planned to use it, and b) it was not stable enough for us to guarantee the performance of our product on it. For that matter we ceased work on CentOS 8 server support the moment Red Hat made their announcement that they were ending support for the OS early. It was a relief, actually, because internally we have now standardized on Ubuntu LTS and are migrating our older CentOS platforms to Ubuntu LTS as they reach end of life, and adding another platform that was incompatible with both CentOS 7 and Ubuntu LTS was proving difficult. Red Hat Software made some decisions with RHEL 8 to a) boost their own application platform software, and b) remove competing application platform software, and our server product requires one of those competing application platform software packages that had been in RHEL for over a decade.

I must say that I've been very pleased with Ubuntu 20 LTS. Its mature and stable ZFS support in particular has been a joy on my personal NAS server here at home. When that NAS server was running CentOS 7, ZFS was regularly getting broken by kernel updates. No such oddities in Ubuntu LTS.

Dirk Heinrichs

Oct 11, 2021, 12:38:23 PM10/11/21
to puppet...@googlegroups.com, aidan.n...@puppet.com
Am Montag, dem 11.10.2021 um 09:48 +0200 schrieb Peter Meier:

Just to re-iterate what I brought up a few months ago: It would be very welcoming, when Puppet ships at least a "supported" agent (or at least an installable as preview) as early as possible for CentOS Stream 9.

I'd enhance that request to upcoming major releases of all the major (or supported) Linux distributions, like Debian, Ubuntu (LTS), ...

For Debian, for example, this could already happen when "testing" is frozen (or even for "testing" in general ;-)). This would guarantee availability of Puppet packages as soon as the new distribution release ships.

Bye...

Dirk
--
Dirk Heinrichs
Senior Systems Engineer, Delivery Pipeline