Puppetserver failing to start on a brand new Debian 12 VM

kristian...@gmail.com

Apr 23, 2024, 1:55:30 AMApr 23
to Puppet Users
Hi there,
I have to migrate my old Debian 11 with Puppet 6 to Debian 12 and Puppet 7 or Puppet 8 (I'm a bit concerned to jump over major versions)

I took a snapshot and performed the upgrade via apt, nothing unusual. After the upgrade Puppetserver refuse to start. It complains about some java exceptions..

I decided to restore the server and try to install Puppet server on a fresh system.
During the installation Puppet server has failed to install because puppet user is missing.... quite strange. In my opinion this should be handled by the installer.

When I try to start it the issue is the same, the same one I saw on my old VM when I performed the upgrade. So the issue is not in the upgrade, but some general issue in Debian 12 and Puppet 7.

Please check the logs:

If you need more info, please ask.
Thanks

Dirk Heinrichs

Apr 23, 2024, 2:51:08 AMApr 23
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Am Montag, dem 22.04.2024 um 22:55 -0700 schrieb kristian...@gmail.com:

So the issue is not in the upgrade, but some general issue in Debian 12 and Puppet 7.

Did you install from Debian or Puppetlabs packages?

Bye...

Dirk
--
Dirk Heinrichs
Senior Systems Engineer, Delivery Pipeline

Martin Alfke

Apr 23, 2024, 4:17:40 AMApr 23
to puppet...@googlegroups.com

On 23. Apr 2024, at 08:50, 'Dirk Heinrichs' via Puppet Users <puppet...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Am Montag, dem 22.04.2024 um 22:55 -0700 schrieb kristian...@gmail.com:

So the issue is not in the upgrade, but some general issue in Debian 12 and Puppet 7.

Did you install from Debian or Puppetlabs packages?

There are still no PuppetServer packages from Puppet.
Seems as if you used the Debian packages provided by the distribution.

Does the server have enough memory to start the Java process?
Which Java version is used? (11 or 15 or 17)

Martin

Dirk Heinrichs

Apr 23, 2024, 4:29:19 AMApr 23
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Am Dienstag, dem 23.04.2024 um 10:17 +0200 schrieb Martin Alfke:

There are still no PuppetServer packages from Puppet.

Not true. They exist since years:

# apt-cache show puppetserver|head
Package: puppetserver
Version: 7.17.0-1bullseye
License: ASL 2.0
Vendor: Puppet Labs <in...@puppetlabs.com>
Architecture: all

Dirk Heinrichs

Apr 23, 2024, 4:31:40 AMApr 23
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Am Dienstag, dem 23.04.2024 um 10:29 +0200 schrieb Dirk Heinrichs:

Not true. They exist since years:

Or did you mean "... for Debian 12"?

Martin Alfke

Apr 23, 2024, 4:43:46 AMApr 23
to puppet...@googlegroups.com

> On 23. Apr 2024, at 10:31, 'Dirk Heinrichs' via Puppet Users <puppet...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>
> Am Dienstag, dem 23.04.2024 um 10:29 +0200 schrieb Dirk Heinrichs:
>
>> Not true. They exist since years:
>
> Or did you mean "... for Debian 12"?

Yes. As far as I know there are no packages for puppetserver and puppetdb.
Only puppet-agent is available for Debian 12.

Dirk Heinrichs

Apr 23, 2024, 5:00:35 AMApr 23
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Am Dienstag, dem 23.04.2024 um 10:43 +0200 schrieb Martin Alfke:

Yes. As far as I know there are no packages for puppetserver and puppetdb.
Only puppet-agent is available for Debian 12.

Yes, that's indeed correct. Not even for Puppet 8.  Wasn't aware of this.

Thanks for clarifying.

kristian...@gmail.com

Apr 23, 2024, 8:21:21 AMApr 23
to Puppet Users
I see....

root@puppetserver:~# apt policy puppetserver
puppetserver:
  Installed: 7.9.5-2
  Candidate: 7.9.5-2
  Version table:
 *** 7.9.5-2 500
        500 http://deb.debian.org/debian bookworm/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
root@puppetserver:~#

So we are going to consider that, Puppet is not yet supported in Debian 12?
There is no issue on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS, I'm thinking to go in this direction.

I haven't expected to get such experience with Puppet and Debian..
Will Ubuntu provide better support and compatibility for Puppet?
What are your thoughts guys?

Martin Alfke

Apr 23, 2024, 8:25:30 AMApr 23
to puppet...@googlegroups.com

On 23. Apr 2024, at 14:21, kristian...@gmail.com <kristian...@gmail.com> wrote:

I see....

root@puppetserver:~# apt policy puppetserver
puppetserver:
  Installed: 7.9.5-2
  Candidate: 7.9.5-2
  Version table:
 *** 7.9.5-2 500
        500 http://deb.debian.org/debian bookworm/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
root@puppetserver:~#

So we are going to consider that, Puppet is not yet supported in Debian 12?
There is no issue on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS, I'm thinking to go in this direction.

I haven't expected to get such experience with Puppet and Debian..
Will Ubuntu provide better support and compatibility for Puppet?
What are your thoughts guys?

Ubuntu is a Puppet Enterprise supported OS.
So packages for Ubuntu will be available faster compared to Debian packages.

You can try to also push Puppet dev teams:

Dirk Heinrichs

Apr 23, 2024, 8:29:52 AMApr 23
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Am Dienstag, dem 23.04.2024 um 05:21 -0700 schrieb kristian...@gmail.com:

So we are going to consider that, Puppet is not yet supported in Debian 12?

Well, it is. Debian usually supports the packages it provides. I did a quick install of the package on my Debian 12 system here, and it starts just fine, out-of-the-box.

HTH...

kristian...@gmail.com

Apr 24, 2024, 4:04:59 AMApr 24
to Puppet Users
Pfuu, that's odd..

So maybe the problem is related to mixing dependencies taken from the Puppet repository and other taken from the Debian repositories.
Have you added apt.puppetlabs.com as a repository when you done the installation?

Did you make any puppet server configuration or simply tried to start with no config?

Dirk Heinrichs

Apr 24, 2024, 7:34:28 AMApr 24
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Am Mittwoch, dem 24.04.2024 um 01:04 -0700 schrieb kristian...@gmail.com:

Have you added apt.puppetlabs.com as a repository when you done the installation?

No.

Did you make any puppet server configuration...

No. That's what out-of-the-box means. Just

apt-get install puppetserver
systemctl start puppetserver.service

Bye...

kristian...@gmail.com

Apr 25, 2024, 1:00:15 AMApr 25
to Puppet Users
Many thanks.

I tried the same, no apt.puppetlabs.com, just use Debian repositories.
The Puppet server is installed and running correctly, puppet agent is able to reach it.

So the issue is mixing both of the sources.

Thanks guys.