Puppet can't fetch catalog

Alessandro Ciappei

Sep 15, 2022, 12:15:51 PM9/15/22
to Puppet Users
Hello all,

my apologies if this topic is already discussed. I try to research it but I didn't find any solution.

I have the following infrastructure:

One RHEL Satellite 6 with several capsule server around our datacentres.
I implement puppet and ansible correctly, sync the puppet environment with rsync (the RHEL Sync doesn't work).

I moved to RHEL satellite 6.11 (where they remove the puppet support, but still in the code). I install again puppet on all server.
On the principal satellite server works perfectly, but on capsule servers not.

[root@am-sv-satcap02 opt]# puppet agent -t
Info: Using environment 'production'
Info: Retrieving pluginfacts
Info: Retrieving plugin
Error: Could not retrieve catalog from remote server: Error 500 on SERVER: Server Error: Failed when searching for node am-sv-satcap02.linux.netops.local: You must set the 'external_nodes' parameter to use the external node terminus
Warning: Not using cache on failed catalog
Error: Could not retrieve catalog; skipping run
[root@am-sv-satcap02 opt]#

Some, can help me to sort out of this problem?

All the best

Alex

Ben Ford

Sep 20, 2022, 10:38:45 AM9/20/22
to Puppet Users
On the Puppet server, you will need either both of these parameters set (when using Satellite for classification), or both of them unset (when not using Satellite for classification).

external_nodes = /etc/puppetlabs/code/node.rb
node_terminus = exec

Ben Ford

Sep 20, 2022, 10:39:39 AM9/20/22
to Puppet Users
(and then you'll need to restart the server)