Automatic Agent installation from dashboard?

Deep

Dec 6, 2013, 3:32:53 AM12/6/13
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Is there an option in puppet to automatically install agent in an unmanaged node in the network from the dashboard?

eg: I have a network of windows and linux servers which doesn't have the puppet agent installed. Is it possible to push the agent from puppet server to these unmanaged nodes by specifying hostname/IP address or some other parameters?

Juan Sierra Pons

Dec 6, 2013, 2:53:19 PM12/6/13
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

AFAIK not from the dashboard but you can launch remote commands to the
servers to install the puppet client and launch puppet agent --test to
ask the puppetmaster for a signed certificate.

Create a file named RemoteCommands.txt with the following content :
(This is for Debian and puppet community, Adapt to your OS flavor and
puppet version)

wget http://apt.puppetlabs.com/puppetlabs-release-wheezy.deb && \
dpkg -i puppetlabs-release-wheezy.deb && rm -f puppetlabs-release-wheezy.deb \
apt-get update && apt-get -y install puppet
update-alternatives --set ruby /usr/bin/ruby1.8
puppet agent --test

Launch this one for each server
ssh root@remoteserver1 /bin/bash < RemoteCommands.txt

For windows I suppose that similar can be done using powershell.

Hope it helps.

Best regards

Juan Sierra Pons ju...@elsotanillo.net
Linux User Registered: #257202 http://www.elsotanillo.net
GPG key = 0xA110F4FE
Key Fingerprint = DF53 7415 0936 244E 9B00 6E66 E934 3406 A110 F4FE

Rob Reynolds

Dec 6, 2013, 5:17:50 PM12/6/13
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Take a look at this as well - https://github.com/hashicorp/puppet-bootstrap

--
Rob Reynolds
Developer, Puppet Labs

Join us at PuppetConf 2014September 23-24 in San Francisco