Configuring Cisco Network devices

Harkanwal

Aug 4, 2017, 11:24:15 AM8/4/17
to Puppet Users
Hello

I need help with current capabilities of Puppet configuring network devices.

I know there is a cisco puppet module which requires agent to be installed on end devices.

My requirement is to use agent less approach. Hence looking to use puppet device for that.

As per reading i have done ; Only VLANs and interfaces can be configured via puppet using puppet device approach. Could anyone confirm if we can do more / what else with puppet device on network side?

Second is it possible to use puppet cisco module along with puppet device (Agentless).

Thanks in advance

Regards,
Harkanwal

Ugo Bellavance

Dec 2, 2017, 8:18:51 PM12/2/17
to Puppet Users
Did you check this module: https://github.com/uniak/puppet-networkdevice

Notice: it says that it's a work in progress. Use with caution and test extensively in lab before using in production.

Jo Rhett

Dec 5, 2017, 3:36:11 PM12/5/17
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Also this helps deal with managing large numbers of ports with common configuration: https://github.com/jorhett/puppet-device_hiera

This is production-quality, with years of use at some very large entities.

Regarding Puppet device, that's not an inherent limitation. It's pretty easy to build your own providers to manage anything... done a lot of work on that, unfortunately wasn't able to release most of it :(

Ugo Bellavance

Dec 5, 2017, 4:08:42 PM12/5/17
to Puppet Users

On Tuesday, December 5, 2017 at 3:36:11 PM UTC-5, Jo wrote:
Also this helps deal with managing large numbers of ports with common configuration: https://github.com/jorhett/puppet-device_hiera

This is production-quality, with years of use at some very large entities.

Regarding Puppet device, that's not an inherent limitation. It's pretty easy to build your own providers to manage anything... done a lot of work on that, unfortunately wasn't able to release most of it :(

It's unfortunate to see that there is no public module that is available to manage even simplet network devices like switches.