Permissions for Windows Files Sourced from Puppet Master

Rob Reynolds

Nov 20, 2013, 1:40:54 PM11/20/13
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
With the changes for http://projects.puppetlabs.com/issues/18931 (Don't set mode on Windows if not specified) & http://projects.puppetlabs.com/issues/5240 (Default ownership for files when uid/gid are unspecified), we've created the ability to specify whether to use source permissions, use when creating or ignore. We've left the default to :use so things work as expected.

However with Windows, when things download they will not use source permissions as it is not supported in Windows at all. So what you get is a warning for sourced items:

Warning: Copying owner/mode/group from the puppet master to Windows agents is not supported; use source_permissions => ignore.

That warning will go away when you've updated all sourced files to add that in your manifests.

Would anyone be at odds with us moving the default for windows for sourced items to ignore the source permissions? This would remove the warning that gets displayed in the upcoming version until you would change all sourced files to add `source_permissions => :ignore`.

That way you would only see the warning if you tried to explicitly set the source_permissions for a file.

--
Rob Reynolds
Developer, Puppet Labs

Join us at PuppetConf 2014September 23-24 in San Francisco

Rob Reynolds

Jan 3, 2014, 11:53:22 PM1/3/14
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Folks supporting Windows, do you have an opinion with this warning? This may have gotten lost with the holiday season so following up. :)

Igor Berger

Jan 4, 2014, 3:58:29 PM1/4/14
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
I think "ignore" is the correct default on Windows, assuming it results in files / directories that inherit permissions of their parents.

Jeff Bachtel

Jan 4, 2014, 4:24:23 PM1/4/14
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
+1

I would not be at odds, it seems like that is a sensible default behavior, while still preserving the ability to shoot one's self in the foot if needs be.

Jeff