Announce: Puppet Agent 1.5.0, Puppet Server 2.4.0

Eric Sorenson

May 19, 2016, 8:56:32 PM5/19/16
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
I'm excited to announce a new batch of backwards-compatible feature releases for the Puppet Agent and Server.  There's a lot to take in here, so check out the release notes and take the code for a test-drive before you yell out "YOLO!" and upgrade all of production.

Puppet Server 2.4.0 - A slew of bugfixes and an enhancement to the trapperkeeper auth.conf implementation that allows you to use certificate extensions in your auth.conf rules. So for example you can assign your trusted management nodes a certificate that contains new authorization extensions indicating they ought to have higher privilege, then match those extensions in the rules that permit cert management or catalog request commands, avoiding the need to keep a list of privileged hostnames in your auth.conf.

Puppet Agent 1.5.0 - All-in-one Agent package contains updated component versions, including a new feature release of Puppet.
  * Ruby 2.1.9 update
  * Puppet 4.5.0 - Also primarily a bugfix release, with improvements in the type system and a few hotly awaited fixes for systemd and the DNF package manager. The release notes mention new functions (including a function named "new") that needs
  * Facter 3.1.7 - Bugfixes for GCE and one particularly nasty recursion / fork-bomb that could happen if facter was invoked from inside a fact (I know...)
  * Hiera 3.2.0 - There's a backwards-compatible change that moves the default location of hiera.yaml out of the 'codedir' and back into 'config'. Read up on the backstory at HI-490 or on the puppet-dev thread[1], but the tl;dr is that we realized having this file (whose contents are frequently managed by puppet) inside the code dir (which is managed by r10k) was a mistake, and this change unwinds that, hopefully without introducing any additional badness.
Release notes for each of these are linked from the main puppet-agent note: https://docs.puppet.com/puppet/4.5/reference/release_notes_agent.html

Special community shout-out to Matthew Gyurgyik (whose name I admit i copy-pasted from JIRA) for working through the systemd issues!

Eric Sorenson - eric.s...@puppet.com - freenode #puppet: eric0
puppet platform // coffee // techno // bicycles

Eric Sorenson

May 19, 2016, 9:38:48 PM5/19/16
to puppe...@googlegroups.com, puppet...@googlegroups.com

On May 19, 2016, at 5:54 PM, Eric Sorenson <eric.s...@puppet.com> wrote:

  * Puppet 4.5.0 - Also primarily a bugfix release, with improvements in the type system and a few hotly awaited fixes for systemd and the DNF package manager. The release notes mention new functions (including a function named "new") that need

... to be added to the type reference on the website, but for now you can check out the inline docs at:

(WHUPS! Thanks Rob Nelson for pointing out my half-baked sentence.)