Puppet 4 under Ubuntu 16.04

Ilia Ternovich

Oct 14, 2016, 11:26:34 AM10/14/16
to Puppet Users
Hi,

Is there any way of installing puppetmaster 4 into Ubuntu 16.04?

I have read numerous articles in internet regarding importing https://apt.puppetlabs.com/puppetlabs-release-pc1-xenial.deb -- but this does not work. Latest version is always 3.8

Please advise.

Thanks

Peter Kristolaitis

Oct 14, 2016, 12:02:46 PM10/14/16
to puppet...@googlegroups.com

You need to install the puppetserver package, not puppetmaster.

Ilia Ternovich

Oct 17, 2016, 5:19:51 AM10/17/16
to Puppet Users
Hi,

I can't install puppetserver because it requires openjdk. And I would like to use puppet for installing oracle jdk

Please advise

Lowe Schmidt

Oct 17, 2016, 7:03:40 AM10/17/16
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Do you want to install Oracle JDK on a machine or do you want to run the puppet server with Oracle JDK ?

--
Lowe Schmidt | +46 723 867 157

Ilia Ternovich

Oct 17, 2016, 7:14:07 AM10/17/16
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I would like to install puppet first and then manage my oracle jdk installation with it. I don't need OpenJDK

But puppetserver ubuntu package has dependencies to OpenJDK:

# apt-cache depends puppetserver
puppetserver
 |Depends: <openjdk-7-jre-headless>
  Depends: openjdk-8-jre-headless
  Depends: net-tools
  Depends: adduser
  Depends: puppet-agent

Thanks

Lowe Schmidt

Oct 17, 2016, 7:59:03 AM10/17/16
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Yes, Puppet server is written in Clojure and requires a working JDK to run.

--
Lowe Schmidt | +46 723 867 157

jcbollinger

Oct 17, 2016, 9:10:54 AM10/17/16
to Puppet Users

On Monday, October 17, 2016 at 6:14:07 AM UTC-5, Ilia Ternovich wrote:
Hi,

I would like to install puppet first and then manage my oracle jdk installation with it. I don't need OpenJDK

... for anything other than Puppetserver.

As far as I know, puppetserver ought to run as well on the Oracle JRE as it does on OpenJDK JRE, as even if we weren't talking about Java, the two products are very closely related.  Thus, yours appears to be a packaging problem, not a functional problem.  I take it that Ubuntu does not allow you to install multiple Java packages, else you wouldn't be asking, but some other distros do cleanly support having multiple versions installed simultaneously.  Anyway, since it's a packaging problem, one approach to solving it would be to repackage puppetserver to change its dependencies.

But you need any of that only on the master (as far as Puppet is concerned), for the Puppet agent does not depend on Java.  And perhaps that in itself resolves the problem, for what prevents you from using OpenJDK on the master, and whatever Puppet-managed Java you like everywhere else?

John

Isaiah Frantz

Oct 17, 2016, 6:52:23 PM10/17/16
to Puppet Users
You can not install puppetserver without jdk though because it is a java program.
You can, however, install the puppet agent (doesnt require/use jdk) and write a simple pp to install the jdk, puppetserver, other packagages, and config the server with puppet apply.

Thomas Hager

Oct 18, 2016, 1:10:28 PM10/18/16
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, 2016-10-17 at 13:13 +0200, Ilia Ternovich wrote:
> I would like to install puppet first and then manage my oracle jdk
> installation with it. I don't need OpenJDK

Well, before managing anything with Puppet, you need a working
puppetserver. And puppetserver has a dependency on OpenJDK, because
it's the only JDK shipped with Xenial.

So, install puppetserver with OpenJDK and write your manifest to
install Oracle's JDK later (you can safely install OpenJDK and Oracle
JDK in parallel on Ubuntu).

But the question remains, why would you want to install Oracle JDK
on the puppetserver? Puppetserver works fine with OpenJDK on Xenial,
been running it for 3-4 months now without a glitch.

Cheers,
Tom.

Thomas "Duke" Hager du...@sigsegv.at
GPG: 2048R/791C5EB1 http://www.sigsegv.at/gpg/duke.gpg
"Never Underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups."
signature.asc

Ilia Ternovich

Oct 18, 2016, 1:19:03 PM10/18/16
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Servus,

Thank you very much for the answer. As I said originally -- I need puppetmaster 4 (not puppetserver). Then there came advise to use puppetserver instead and mess around JDKs.

Thanks

Peter Kristolaitis

Oct 18, 2016, 1:22:48 PM10/18/16
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Puppet 4 *only* uses the Java-based puppetserver.   puppetmaster is was deprecated and is not supported in the current version.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/puppet-users/CAPP%2BqtDbgJHgTwRMeZEKchWq%2BOPubbzG1M%2BH91CP0kr63%2BAwEw%40mail.gmail.com.