Significance of 'puppet generate types' and title patterns that use procs

Trevor Vaughan

Apr 10, 2018, 2:19:15 PM4/10/18
to puppe...@googlegroups.com
I was digging through some output from 'puppet generate types' and noticed that some of my custom types that have composite namevars were throwing an error "title patterns that use procs are not supported".

Are there plans to support this pattern and, if not, what is a sensible migration pattern to move away without ending up with resources where the name has no significant relation to the resource purpose?

Thanks,

Trevor

--
Trevor Vaughan
Vice President, Onyx Point, Inc

Josh Cooper

Apr 10, 2018, 3:20:40 PM4/10/18
to puppe...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Apr 10, 2018 at 11:19 AM, Trevor Vaughan <tvau...@onyxpoint.com> wrote:
I was digging through some output from 'puppet generate types' and noticed that some of my custom types that have composite namevars were throwing an error "title patterns that use procs are not supported".

When using `puppet generate types`, we want to create a data only representation of the type, which can be loaded into (j)ruby without breaking environment isolation. If the title pattern has a Proc, then it would have to be ruby evaluated at compile time.

Are there plans to support this pattern and, if not, what is a sensible migration pattern to move away without ending up with resources where the name has no significant relation to the resource purpose?

Thanks,

Trevor

--
Trevor Vaughan
Vice President, Onyx Point, Inc

Josh Cooper | Software Engineer

Trevor Vaughan

Apr 10, 2018, 10:02:54 PM4/10/18
to puppe...@googlegroups.com
That might just work! Thanks for the pointer, I'll give it a try.

If it works, I'll see if I can get the augeasproviders_* modules updated as well.

Trevor

Trevor Vaughan

Apr 11, 2018, 1:17:33 PM4/11/18
to puppe...@googlegroups.com
As a note, this *does* appear to be working on the modules that I've tested so far.