Fall internship opportunity with Lunaria Gardens, West Philadelphia

123 προβολές
Παράβλεψη και μετάβαση στο πρώτο μη αναγνωσμένο μήνυμα

Kristen Jas Vietty

μη αναγνωσμένη,
12 Ιουλ 2021, 11:08:35 π.μ.12/7/21
ως Philadelphia Urban Farm Network

Lunaria Gardens, an urban flower farm and design studio, is offering an internship opportunity early August through early December 2021. This internship will be based primarily at our farm and studio at Pentridge Station in West Philly, but also include site visits to other Philadelphia gardens and area events.

Job type: Part-time internship, 4 months (early August through early December), 8-16 hours per week
Compensation: Unpaid/ student credit. A stipend may be available for Black, Indigenous, and QTPOC applicants (please inquire). We frequently provide free flowers and floral design training.
Position available: early August (interviews begin mid-July)
Contact: Kristen Jas Vietty (they/ them), he...@lunariagardens.com

Position Description:
We will discuss individual areas of interest, but some of this season’s projects include:

▪ Planting: seeds, plugs, perennials, tubers

▪ Field work: weeding, mulching, bed prep

▪ Light-duty construction, inventory organization

▪ Harvesting, processing, drying flowers

▪ Seed saving

▪ Wedding + event support: design, install, client communications

▪ Photography, social media

Requirements:
No experience necessary. We require a desire to learn, solid work ethic, consistent time commitment, positive attitude, and COVID vaccination

About Lunaria Gardens + Kristen Jas Vietty:
Lunaria Gardens, est. 2011 by Kristen Jas Vietty, is an urban flower farm and design studio, with a base of operations at Pentridge Station in West Philadelphia. We primarily grow flowers for wedding floral design and local florists. We also occasionally offer retail florals, specialty plants, workshops, and community events. I’ve personally found a lot of value in my past internships with various organizations, and in recent years, have been committed to passing along some of the knowledge I’ve been fortunate to acquire. Former interns have gone on to obtain positions including farm manager, floral designer, public gardens educator.

More info: lunariagardens.com/journal/internfall2021

To be considered, please contact Kristen Jas Vietty (they/ them), he...@lunariagardens.com with a bit about yourself and what you’re hoping to learn. (Do not reply to this listerv).

QT/POC applicants and those with family roots in West Philadelphia are especially encouraged to apply.

Posted July 12, 2021

-----------

Kristen Jas Vietty (they/ them)
Grower-Designer
LUNARIA GARDENS@lunariagardens
WeddingWire / Zola

Asia Simmons

μη αναγνωσμένη,
12 Ιουλ 2021, 7:03:19 μ.μ.12/7/21
ως krist...@gmail.com, Philadelphia Urban Farm Network
Hi Kristen!

Wow this sounds amazing! My name is Asia (she/her) and I currently work as a catering chef and field hand for weavers way. I also have a side business where I do my own catering, and this internship would definitely be beneficial for me.

I’m a single mom of color who decided to go back to college for Sustainable Agriculture later in years after graduating from culinary school. Due to low attendance and registration Goddard College decided to close temporarily. So instead, I learned hands on at Weavers Way and Germantown Kitchen Garden.

I believe that this internship would be a great fit for me. Hope we can chat soon.

Asia Simmons

--
Report abuse to pufn+...@googlegroups.com

Casa Sabera

μη αναγνωσμένη,
13 Ιουλ 2021, 2:55:24 μ.μ.13/7/21
ως Philadelphia Urban Farm Network
Kristen,

In my perception, you are specifically asking to 'hire' marginalized people for an intellectually and physically involved PT job with no benefits and an uncertain, surely fixed amount of money. The other 'compensation' you list are the spoils of luxury production, and referencing your own worth as an institution, neither of which come from your profit. While offering no transparency to your wealth and profits here or on your website, but stating that you do earn your living off land and resources here.

Can you address your lack of transparency and why this position seems so exploitative?

Writing you to learn more about you and your business,

Sky Fo
267-979-0778aratnamed...@gmail.com
Gente de Tierra
Casa Sabera, The Life Center Association (LCA)

KristenJas

μη αναγνωσμένη,
13 Ιουλ 2021, 5:24:04 μ.μ.13/7/21
ως Philadelphia Urban Farm Network

Hi Sky,

Thank you for your message. I’m frequently questioning the effect of my work in our world, and how to navigate an equitable future in this capitalist hellscape. You raise necessary questions that I’m very keen to explore.

I’m happy to provide more specific details and transparency about myself and my business, and explore a path forward, but as this is a larger conversation than can be summed up in a few sentences, I’m not sure that this Listserv is the best medium.

Sky, I’m going to respond directly to continue discussion. I’d like to invite anyone else who’d like to be part of the conversation to email he...@lunariagardens.com or DM @lunariagardens on Instagram. Or I’d welcome the involvement of a third party.

In an effort to provide public accountability, I’d like to make our conversation available to our community, which we can update this group on soon.

Perennially,

Kristen Jas Vietty (they/ them)
Grower-Designer
LUNARIA GARDENS