IPv6 addresses are not reliable

eit...@bittech.co.il

Oct 16, 2018, 11:11:22 AM10/16/18
to public-ntp-discuss
Hello,

I have just configured few dozens of network devices to use time.google.com and time2.google.com and 3 and 4 as their NTP servers.

The NTP logs from all the devices shows that every few queries the IPv6 address, of various Google NTP servers, not anyone specific - are not reachable.
No such issue at all with the IPv4 addresses of all Google's NTP servers.

Does Google monitor these IPv6 addresses? verifies their reliability?

Chris Schrier

Oct 16, 2018, 12:45:54 PM10/16/18
to eit...@bittech.co.il, public-ntp-discuss
Greetings.

We monitor the IPv6 and IPv4 addresses. We have not observed any failures but I'll admit that our IPv6 monitoring could be improved. I'm not aware of any issues that would be affecting IPv6 and not IPv4, I'll do a bit of research.

Can you send us a bit more information:
- What are affected IP addresses?
- Can you provide a traceroute from your device to the affected IPs?
- Are you using native IPv6, 6to4, or any other tunneling?
- Does this happen at a particular time of day?

eit...@bittech.co.il