Time

olfakad...@gmail.com

Sep 6, 2018, 1:22:13 PM9/6/18
to public-ntp-discuss
Hi,

We are using the time.google.com as time source to our timestamp unit. According to the ESTI standard : "The time values the TSU uses in the time-stamp shall be traceable to at least one of the real time values distributed by a UTC(k) laboratory". Which means that the ntp server are a strate 0. So I need to check if the ntp server of google are distributed by a UTC(k) laboratory or are a strate 0 ntp server.

Thank you in advance.
BR
Olfa

Michael Shields

Sep 6, 2018, 2:00:52 PM9/6/18
to olfakad...@gmail.com, public-ntp-discuss
Google is not a UTC(k) laboratory.  Our NTP servers are synchronized to our own atomic clocks, which are synchronized to GPS, which is synchronized to UTC(USNO), which is a UTC(k) time source.  But we are not able to offer certification of that path.

If you need something auditable, you should consider a service such as NIST's TMAS (https://www.nist.gov/programs-projects/time-measurement-and-analysis-service-tmas).  However, that will not provide leap second smearing.