Rate limiting

caleb.h....@gmail.com

Nov 6, 2019, 7:19:38 PM11/6/19
to public-dns-discuss
Hello,

We are experiencing intermittent DNS request timeouts. We are using Google DNS for external DNS queries.

What info do you need to check for rate limiting issues? We would like to verify whether we are reaching this limit or not.

Thanks!

Caleb

Wesley Peng

Nov 6, 2019, 8:55:31 PM11/6/19
to caleb.h....@gmail.com, public-dns-discuss
I doubt this is due to rate limit. It's most probably your network connection stuff, for example, large delay or somewhat network filter.

Alex Dupuy

Nov 6, 2019, 9:06:34 PM11/6/19
to public-dns-discuss
Caleb wrote:
We are experiencing intermittent DNS request timeouts. We are using Google DNS for external DNS queries.

What info do you need to check for rate limiting issues? We would like to verify whether we are reaching this limit or not.

You would need to provide the IP address of your client, and an estimate of your peak queries per second (QPS). However, if you are not sending at least 600 QPS, on a regular basis, it is very unlikely that you are experiencing rate limiting.

As Wesley wrote, it is more likely a network (ISP?) issue with loss or congestion.