Reverse resolve errors causing havoc...

evoto...@gmail.com

Jan 18, 2019, 10:54:05 AM1/18/19
to public-dns-discuss
I rent dedicated servers running XenServer that host various virtual machines. I also have public IP space (/29) that is included with the dedicated server rental. I also have additional IP space (again, /29) that is linked to my dedicated server.

The first IP range (63.141.252.178-182) seems to have some polluted reverse DNS records in the Google Public DNS cache as each of these IP addresses resolves to a different host name when attempting to set up PRTG or any virtual machines using these IP addresses.

The second IP range (63.141.247.250-254) does not suffer the same reverse resolution issue.

I am frankly stumped and I am unable to use Google Public DNS or Cloudflare DNS as these both seem to be polluted somehow. I was also unable to get a straight answer from the Google Domains team about what the authoritative DNS server address is for my domains.

I would sincerely appreciate any suggestions or answers you folks might have about this issue and a possible resolution.

Thank you in advance!

Alex Dupuy

Jan 18, 2019, 6:42:07 PM1/18/19
to public-dns-discuss
https://gwhois.org/63.141.252.182+dns or running dig +trace -x 63.141.252.1 will give you some answers about the IP address range and the name servers that are authoritative for those reverse domains.

You can flush PTR records from Google Public DNS at https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/cache but don't bother to do that if the authoritative servers are still returning bad answers, as maybe they are:

$ dig +short -x 63.141.252.182 @ns1.33387.net
$ dig +short -x 63.141.252.182 @8.8.8.8