Google DNS sporadically not finding my parked domain

Jason Carlton

Jul 2, 2019, 3:55:55 PM7/2/19
to public-dns-discuss
Last night, a subdomain of my parked domain started giving an error message, ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED. I wasn't too concerned because this subdomain is just my sandbox, but after trying several things I discovered that turning off Google DNS at my router solved the issue. Oddly, I turned Google DNS back on about 30 seconds later, and it continued to work just fine. So I thought it was just a router fluke,

When I woke up this morning, I found that the main parked domain, www.gowilkes.com, was giving the same error. Again, I turned off Google DNS at the router and turned it back on, and it has been working fine ever since.

But I've had DOZENS of reports from other people that the site isn't working for them today, either. None have replied to confirm whether they were using Google DNS, so now I don't know if that's the actual problem. But my site traffic is less than half of what it usually is (down by about 15,000), so I suspect that it's affecting a LOT more people!

Note that the main domain (the one on which the other is parked) seems to be working without any errors. But I've marketed the parked domain for 16 years, so it not working is a huge problem.

I found this:

Right now my site is coming up for me, so I'm not sure if the troubleshooting options will work. I do see that using tracert -d 8.8.8.8 works fine, but when I use nslookup I get the following:

######

# nslookup -debug www.gowilkes.com. 8.8.8.8
------------
Got answer:
    HEADER:
        opcode = QUERY, id = 1, rcode = NOERROR
        header flags:  response, want recursion, recursion avail.
        questions = 1,  answers = 1,  authority records = 0,  additional = 0

    QUESTIONS:
        8.8.8.8.in-addr.arpa, type = PTR, class = IN
    ANSWERS:
    ->  8.8.8.8.in-addr.arpa
        name = dns.google
        ttl = 18937 (5 hours 15 mins 37 secs)

------------
Server:  dns.google
Address:  8.8.8.8

------------
Got answer:
    HEADER:
        opcode = QUERY, id = 2, rcode = NXDOMAIN
        header flags:  response, want recursion, recursion avail.
        questions = 1,  answers = 0,  authority records = 1,  additional = 0

    QUESTIONS:
        www.gowilkes.com, type = A, class = IN
    AUTHORITY RECORDS:
    ->  com
        ttl = 895 (14 mins 55 secs)
        primary name server = a.gtld-servers.net
        responsible mail addr = nstld.verisign-grs.com
        serial  = 1562096398
        refresh = 1800 (30 mins)
        retry   = 900 (15 mins)
        expire  = 604800 (7 days)
        default TTL = 86400 (1 day)

------------
------------
Got answer:
    HEADER:
        opcode = QUERY, id = 3, rcode = NXDOMAIN
        header flags:  response, want recursion, recursion avail.
        questions = 1,  answers = 0,  authority records = 1,  additional = 0

    QUESTIONS:
        www.gowilkes.com, type = AAAA, class = IN
    AUTHORITY RECORDS:
    ->  com
        ttl = 899 (14 mins 59 secs)
        primary name server = a.gtld-servers.net
        responsible mail addr = nstld.verisign-grs.com
        serial  = 1562096383
        refresh = 1800 (30 mins)
        retry   = 900 (15 mins)
        expire  = 604800 (7 days)
        default TTL = 86400 (1 day)

------------
*** dns.google can't find www.gowilkes.com.: Non-existent domain

######

Since this is a parked domain, I'm not sure if the final "non-existent domain" is relevant?

Either way, ANY suggestions on how to fix this issue would be greatly appreciated!

Alex Dupuy

Jul 2, 2019, 4:00:41 PM7/2/19
to public-dns-discuss
I think your parked domain got towed away. The .COM name servers claim it does not exist:

; <<>> DiG 9.10.6 <<>> www.gowilkes.com @a.gtld-servers.net
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 1
;; WARNING: recursion requested but not available

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 4096
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;www.gowilkes.com.              IN      A

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
com.                    900     IN      SOA     a.gtld-servers.net. nstld.verisign-grs.com. 1562097363 1800 900 604800 86400

;; Query time: 36 msec
;; SERVER: 2001:503:a83e::2:30#53(2001:503:a83e::2:30)
;; WHEN: Tue Jul 02 15:56:30 EDT 2019
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 118

Check that your domain registration hasn't expired or been blocked for abuse or something else (unpaid domain parking ticket?).

Jason Carlton

Jul 2, 2019, 4:08:47 PM7/2/19
to public-dns-discuss
I checked, the domain doesn't expire until October 10 and mxtoolbox.com doesn't show any issues for the domain. I see that mxtoolbox.com says "DNS record not found", though, which is weird.

Alex Dupuy

Jul 2, 2019, 4:14:31 PM7/2/19
to public-dns-discuss
https://gwhois.org/gowilkes.com+dns shows (under the registrar)

Domain StatusclientHold

clientHold

This status code tells your domain's registry to not activate your domain in the DNS and as a consequence, it will not resolve. It is an uncommon status that is usually enacted during legal disputes, non-payment, or when your domain is subject to deletion.

Often, this status indicates an issue with your domain that needs resolution. If so, you should contact your registrar to resolve the issue. If your domain does not have any issues, but you need it to resolve, you must first contact your registrar and request that they remove this status code.

Jason Carlton

Jul 2, 2019, 11:23:29 PM7/2/19
to public-dns-discuss
I really appreciate the help, Alex! It turned out that the problem was at the registrar all along. Their system wasn't sending the WDRP email that required me to verify the domain.

They've been a nightmare to work with, but as of 10:20pm they resolved the problem on their end and I was able to retrieve the email, and then verify everything.