DNS Configuration

j...@cpss.co

Jan 14, 2019, 9:06:09 AM1/14/19
to public-dns-discuss
Anyone have an idea why my domain, (cpss.co) is timing out with Google's DNS? I'm currently with enom and everything works if I use my ISP DNS but not with Google. I was just traveling too and I noticed that these domains I need more subdomains than enom allows were not working at our hotel but they were at Denny's down the street. I've registered ns1.maegic.net & ns2.maegic.net as name servers with enom and just recently implemented DNSSEC, (hopefully I did it right) on my Microsoft servers running 2016 but I'm not sure what else to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.

Alex Dupuy

Jan 14, 2019, 10:06:40 AM1/14/19
to public-dns-discuss
There are a bunch of problems with your configuration, http://dnsviz.net/d/cpss.co/XDyj7A/dnssec/ shows some of them.

While it is possible to DNSSEC-sign your domains separately with different keys on each name server, this is not generally advised (and for proper functionality, requires that the two name servers cross-sign each others DNSKEY RRsets).

You should do the DNSSEC-signing on one name server, set it up as a primary, and the other as a secondary which will transfer the zones. Once that is set up, you can register the DS record for your domain's KSK (key-signing DNSKEY, the one with 257, not 256) with eNom and you should have a working DNSSEC configuration.

j...@cpss.co

Jan 15, 2019, 10:05:05 AM1/15/19
to public-dns-discuss
Thank you so much Alex, I'll try to figure all of this out. That link should help guide me in the right direction.

GuyCre8ive

Jan 15, 2019, 10:05:05 AM1/15/19
to public-dns-discuss
Alright DNS administration is a lot more complicated than I thought. How close is Google to developing that Tech in the Matrix movie where I can just download everything I need to know to get this going?