Conflicting reports on 172.253.215.0/24 geo location

jabol...@gmail.com

Dec 28, 2019, 1:31:03 PM12/28/19
to public-dns-discuss
Hi,

I've had an issue where UK users pointing to 8.8.8.8 for DNS are not getting properly geo located by our DNS load balancer.  The issue is very intermittent but we were able to reproduce it.  Logs on our appliance show 172.253.215.11 to be making the query.  Our DNS loadbalancer uses a Maxmind database for geo location services.  Maxmind and many others show the address to be US based.  That makes sense since the user in UK is getting the US VIP address for the name he is trying to query when he should be getting the UK VIP address.  According to https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/faq and https://www.iplocation.net/ 172.253.215.11 is a Brussels address.  When i look at the following tools online I get a US location for the same address.  There seems to be quite a bit of conflict.  Can someone explain this and if there is a work in progress to get this sorted?

Alex Dupuy

Jan 15, 2020, 12:33:09 PM1/15/20
to public-dns-discuss
172.253.215.0/24 is a Brussels location, but since it is only used for outbound traffic from Google, various GeoIP data bases may just use the geo location of its origin AS number 15169 (Google) which is in Mountain View, California, in the US. Those GeoIP data bases should update their records from the HTTP or DNS data we maintain (as noted in the FAQ). Unfortunately, it isn't possible for us to track down all the GeoIP vendors and badger them into using the data we publish. You could contact MaxMind and see if you can get them to update their database with our published location data on a regular basis (we update it at least weekly).