Failure to resolve domain name

sandyfe...@gmail.com

Nov 21, 2018, 6:06:42 AM11/21/18
to public-dns-discuss
Google DNS server time out on Domain name- sslau.sportscover.com from Australia

below is the results

nslookup sslau.sportscover.com 8.8.4.4
Address:  8.8.4.4

DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
Non-authoritative answer:
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
Address:  124.19.27.67

can you help to fix this issue ?

Alex Dupuy

Nov 21, 2018, 12:45:43 PM11/21/18
to public-dns-discuss
https://dns.google.com/query?name=sslau.sportscover.com gives these results (from New York City)

  "Answer": [
    {
      "name": "sslau.sportscover.com.",
      "type": 1,
      "TTL": 21599,
      "data": "124.19.27.67"
    }
  ],
  "Comment": "Response from 210.50.4.235; 3791ms resolution time exceeds 2 seconds; some clients may time out."

If your nslookup tool has a 2 second timeout, and the authoritative server responses are taking almost 4 seconds, it is surely the case that any public resolver that doesn't have the answer cached will time out for the domain. Google Public DNS has more aggressive timeouts internally, and tries very hard to return responses within 5 seconds, but will return a SERVFAIL rather than a timeout if it cannot.

Bernardino Augusto

Nov 24, 2018, 11:09:24 AM11/24/18
to public-dns-discuss
Google DNS server time out on Domains name:

below is the results

> aduana-dsp.com.br
Servidor:  google-public-dns-a.google.com
Address:  8.8.8.8
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
*** O tempo limite da solicitação para google-public-dns-a.google.com expirou

> adukargo.com.br
Servidor:  google-public-dns-a.google.com
Address:  8.8.8.8
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
*** O tempo limite da solicitação para google-public-dns-a.google.com expirou

> concentre.com.br
Servidor:  google-public-dns-a.google.com
Address:  8.8.8.8
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
*** O tempo limite da solicitação para google-public-dns-a.google.com expirou

> amazoncargo.com.br
Servidor:  google-public-dns-a.google.com
Address:  8.8.8.8
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
*** O tempo limite da solicitação para google-public-dns-a.google.com expirou

> kamarim.com
Servidor:  google-public-dns-a.google.com
Address:  8.8.8.8
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
*** O tempo limite da solicitação para google-public-dns-a.google.com expirou

If I test for another DNS, this resolving normally, see below the results.

> aduana-dsp.com.br
Servidor:  b.resolvers.Level3.net
Address:  4.2.2.2
Não é resposta autoritativa:
Nome:    aduana-dsp.com.br
Addresses:  201.90.252.174
          201.90.252.173

> adukargo.com.br
Servidor:  b.resolvers.Level3.net
Address:  4.2.2.2
Não é resposta autoritativa:
Nome:    adukargo.com.br
Addresses:  201.90.252.173
          201.90.252.174

> amazoncargo.com.br
Servidor:  b.resolvers.Level3.net
Address:  4.2.2.2
Não é resposta autoritativa:
Nome:    amazoncargo.com.br
Addresses:  201.90.252.174
          201.90.252.173

> concentre.com.br
Servidor:  b.resolvers.Level3.net
Address:  4.2.2.2
Não é resposta autoritativa:
Nome:    concentre.com.br
Addresses:  201.90.252.173
          201.90.252.174

> kamarim.com
Servidor:  b.resolvers.Level3.net
Address:  4.2.2.2
Não é resposta autoritativa:
Nome:    kamarim.com
Addresses:  201.90.252.174
          201.90.252.173

Alex Dupuy

Nov 25, 2018, 8:18:01 PM11/25/18
to public-dns-discuss
It is better to start a new topic since the reasons for the problems in the case of the Brazilian domains is different.

However, you can find the answer in my previous post https://groups.google.com/d/msg/public-dns-discuss/rehlh8vaj04/XAhGAzoRBQAJ

TL;DR the ns[12].aduana-dsp.com.br name servers need to stop blocking or rate limiting the Google Public DNS resolvers in Chile at the addresses identified at https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/faq#locations (at least the ones marked with the airport code SCL):

Andrzej Swietek

Nov 26, 2018, 9:47:23 AM11/26/18
to Bernardino Augusto, public-dns-discuss
root@kali:~# dig amazoncargo.com.br @1.1.1.1

; <<>> DiG 9.11.4-2-Debian <<>> amazoncargo.com.br @1.1.1.1
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 1452
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;amazoncargo.com.br. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
amazoncargo.com.br. 3600 IN A 201.90.252.174
amazoncargo.com.br. 3600 IN A 201.90.252.173

;; Query time: 522 msec
;; SERVER: 1.1.1.1#53(1.1.1.1)
;; WHEN: Mon Nov 26 04:30:20 UTC 2018
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 79