Suddenly not resolving domain or subdomain

ja...@greystonetec.co.za

Apr 12, 2019, 9:14:13 AM4/12/19
to public-dns-discuss
Hi All.

I followed the troubleshooting guide but all the diagnostics look good.

Literally every other DNS I have tried can resolve greystonetec.co.za but not google's public DNS.

I know our hosting provider doesn't support DNSSEC but this issue suddenly sprung up about an hour ago.

I'm a lot of a noob when it comes to DNS so I'm not sure what I can do to remedy or further test this situation, any and all help is appreciated.

Andrzej Swietek

Apr 12, 2019, 12:14:38 PM4/12/19
to ja...@greystonetec.co.za, public-dns-discuss
It is working for Google Public DNS

andrzejs-air:~ rozalia$ dig @8.8.8.8 greystonetec.co.za

; <<>> DiG 9.10.6 <<>> @8.8.8.8 greystonetec.co.za
; (1 server found)
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 512
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;greystonetec.co.za. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
greystonetec.co.za. 599 IN A 197.221.14.37

;; Query time: 244 msec
;; SERVER: 8.8.8.8#53(8.8.8.8)
;; WHEN: Fri Apr 12 17:14:18 CEST 2019
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 63

andrzejs-air:~ rozalia$ dig @8.8.4.4 greystonetec.co.za

; <<>> DiG 9.10.6 <<>> @8.8.4.4 greystonetec.co.za
; (1 server found)
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 512
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;greystonetec.co.za. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
greystonetec.co.za. 599 IN A 197.221.14.37

;; Query time: 387 msec
;; SERVER: 8.8.4.4#53(8.8.4.4)
;; WHEN: Fri Apr 12 17:21:59 CEST 2019
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 63

ja...@greystonetec.co.za

Apr 13, 2019, 4:00:59 AM4/13/19
to public-dns-discuss
It appears to have resolved itself during the course of the day, but I am concerned about this behavior.

Unfortunately I do not have any test results with me currently, but if it happens again I will be sure to document all the things.

Alex Dupuy

Apr 14, 2019, 10:03:13 AM4/14/19
to public-dns-discuss

Besides dig (or nslookup if you don't have dig) results from Google Public DNS (8.8.8.8) and some other public DNS (1.1.1.1 or 9.9.9.9), please include output from https://dns.google.com for your domain.