Primary DNS server in UAE is 904% Faster than Google Public DNS-2

Chris Thomas

Dec 5, 2009, 9:11:20 AM12/5/09
to public-dns-discuss
My Primary Server is 192.168.1.1

I used the tool 'namebench' to check the speed and it turned out that
my primary dns is 904% faster than Google and other dns service
providers.

I live in the United Arab Emirates and the ISP is Etisalat

Prem Ramaswami

Dec 5, 2009, 10:54:01 AM12/5/09
to public-dn...@googlegroups.com
Chris-

We'd be very curious to see the results you received.  Namebench works best when run on a wide range of queries (order of >5K).  We would also be interested in seeing (if you're comfortable) a traceroute to the Googel Public DNS IP addresses.

Speed will be dependent on your distance to a Google Datacenter and therefore we will not always be the "Fastest" service.

http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns

Paul S. R. Chisholm

Dec 5, 2009, 11:30:28 AM12/5/09
to public-dn...@googlegroups.com
To add to what Prem said: 192.168.1.1 is your home router. Your router
is both forwarding DNS requests (to your ISP's recursive DNS server),
and also storing ("caching") the results on your home network. Those
locally cached results are really close; if you look the same name up
again, you'll get the result incredibly quickly.

Connect to your router and look at the DNS settings. It might tell you
what DNS servers it's using; if so, you can use namebench to compare
those nameservers against 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. If not, a quick search
for "Etisalat DNS configuration" suggests their nameservers are
213.42.20.20 and 195.229.241.222.

If the Etisalat nameservers appear to be slower than the Google Public
DNS nameservers, try configuring your router to use 8.8.8.8 and
8.8.4.4. That way, you'll get the best of both worlds: fast local
caching, and a fast recursive resolver when you have no locally cached
results. (You'll have to subjectively compare this combination over
what you currently have.)

It might be that your ISP offers excellent DNS service. If so, congratulations!

Thanks for your report. --PSRC (Google Public DNS software engineer)

Chris Thomas

Dec 7, 2009, 9:22:03 AM12/7/09
to public-dns-discuss
What you said was absolutely right.

I used the tool again and ran the test, about 1000, my DNS speed got
dropped to 11% higher than Google DNS,compared with 904% I got last
time when I ran the test with 250 tests. It was because 192.168.1.1 is
my home router

Still my DNS is 11% faster

Please ask Google to create servers here in Dubai so that people in
the middle east can avail your public dns service. Google has an
office in Dubai

How do I make a traceroute to the Google DNS IP addresses?

Chris

On Dec 5, 8:30 pm, "Paul S. R. Chisholm" <psrchish...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> > I live in the United Arab Emirates and the ISP is Etisalat- Hide quoted text -

MidnighToker

Dec 7, 2009, 11:33:32 AM12/7/09
to public-dns-discuss
Traceroute:

On Linux: `tracepath 8.8.8.8` or `traceroute 8.8.8.8` or install MTR.

On Windows : `tracert 8.8.8.8` or install http://winmtr.sourceforge.net/

Chris Thomas

Dec 8, 2009, 5:04:29 AM12/8/09
to public-dns-discuss
I did a traceroute tracert 8.8.8.8

Now what?

Do you need any other such helps?

Chris

On Dec 5, 7:54 am, Prem Ramaswami <pr...@google.com> wrote:
> Chris-
>
> We'd be very curious to see the results you received.  Namebench works best
> when run on a wide range of queries (order of >5K).  We would also be
> interested in seeing (if you're comfortable) a traceroute to the Googel
> Public DNS IP addresses.
>
> Speed will be dependent on your distance to a Google Datacenter and
> therefore we will not always be the "Fastest" service.
>
> --
> =======================
> Prem Ramaswami
> Product Manager - Googlehttp://www.google.co.in/internetbus
> =======================
>
> On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 9:11 AM, Chris Thomas <christar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > My Primary Server is 192.168.1.1
>
> > I used the tool 'namebench' to check the speed and it turned out that
> > my primary dns is 904% faster than Google and other dns service
> > providers.
>
> > I live in the United Arab Emirates and the ISP is Etisalat

Prem Ramaswami

Dec 8, 2009, 8:57:20 AM12/8/09
to public-dn...@googlegroups.com
If you feel comfortable, could you provide the output to the traceroute so we can see it?

THanks,

--
=======================
Prem Ramaswami
Product Manager - Google
http://www.google.co.in/internetbus
=======================

itsmani...@gmail.com

Dec 8, 2009, 11:54:33 AM12/8/09
to public-dns-discuss
Hi Prem,

How can i test the performance of my DNS with Google DNS....

Regards,
Manish

On Dec 8, 5:57 am, Prem Ramaswami <pr...@google.com> wrote:
> If you feel comfortable, could you provide the output to the traceroute so
> we can see it?
>
> THanks,

Prem Ramaswami

Dec 8, 2009, 4:50:58 PM12/8/09
to public-dn...@googlegroups.com
You can use tools such as namebench: code.google.com/p/namebench

Please make sure you test upwards of 5,000 results to make sure your output is statistically significant.

--
=======================
Prem Ramaswami
Product Manager - Google
http://www.google.co.in/internetbus
=======================

Chris Thomas

Dec 11, 2009, 10:03:44 AM12/11/09
to public-dns-discuss
Here is the requested Trace route

Tracing route to google-public-dns-a.google.com [8.8.8.8]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms login.router [192.168.1.1]

2 * * * Request timed out.

3 13 ms 11 ms 11 ms 195.229.253.98

4 15 ms 14 ms 14 ms 194.170.0.130

5 21 ms 21 ms 19 ms 195.229.1.185

6 19 ms 52 ms 19 ms 195.229.1.165

7 51 ms 48 ms 18 ms 195.229.1.178

8 84 ms 52 ms 52 ms 72.14.217.185

9 110 ms 49 ms 110 ms 66.249.94.74

10 159 ms 83 ms 158 ms 209.85.241.221

11 110 ms 111 ms 160 ms 209.85.250.103

12 159 ms 172 ms 162 ms 209.85.241.166

13 163 ms 166 ms 162 ms 209.85.250.101

14 163 ms 159 ms 165 ms google-public-dns-a.google.com
[8.8.8.8]

Trace complete.

Regards,

Chris

On Dec 8, 5:57 pm, Prem Ramaswami <pr...@google.com> wrote:
> If you feel comfortable, could you provide the output to the traceroute so
> we can see it?
>
> THanks,

imranj...@gmail.com

Dec 20, 2014, 3:55:36 AM12/20/14
to public-dn...@googlegroups.com
Ref to the topic,

here are my results of 5000 queries;

mmss...@gmail.com

Apr 12, 2015, 9:21:29 AM4/12/15
to public-dn...@googlegroups.com
Hello Chris Thomas,

My Question is, i am from India. but i want to use UAE google server..

It's possible? if yes, how? if no, why?

Please let know about it...

Message has been deleted

allan...@gmail.com

Nov 14, 2015, 11:21:40 AM11/14/15
to public-dns-discuss, mmss...@gmail.com
It would not be impossible however you will need to proxy your requests through a server in UAE. The reason for this is because google use's GEO IP to locate you based on the location the request is coming from. One of the easier ways would be to use a proxy within your web browser to do so. Google which ones are best and how to use them would be my best suggestion.

emgmomo...@gmail.com

May 29, 2018, 11:27:02 AM5/29/18
to public-dns-discuss
I got the same server as u and I live in UAE also in Alain

q-p SKIE

Feb 23, 2021, 7:50:52 AM2/23/21
to public-dns-discuss
is it faster than 1.1.1.1???

Piyush Salian

Nov 8, 2021, 5:12:38 PM11/8/21
to public-dns-discuss

what is your secondary DNS server
its for my ps4 I'm getting bad latency using google dns

Jean Mikhael

Apr 25, 2022, 4:39:49 PM4/25/22
to public-dns-discuss
If You are Etisalat Users Use
Google DNS Servers
8.8.8.8
8.8.4.4
or Cloudfare
1.1.1.1
1.0.0.1
If you are Du Users Use
208.67.222.222
208.67.220.220

Chris Corney

Dec 2, 2022, 8:51:56 AM12/2/22
to public-dns-discuss
How did you find and test this information below just out of interest? I am also a Du user :)

If you are Du Users Use
208.67.222.222
208.67.220.220

mohamed imran