DNSSEC Issue Resolving .gov.au subdomains

benb...@gmail.com

Apr 8, 2019, 9:31:47 AM4/8/19
to public-dns-discuss
Hi,

The Google Public DNS servers are currently returning SERVFAIL responses for subdomains of .gov.au

The .gov.au was recently signed ( https://www.dta.gov.au/blogs/signing-govau-zone ) so I suspect this may be related.

Disabling DNSSEC results in a successful query

example queries:

WIth DNSSEC
$ dig @8.8.8.8 www.health.nsw.gov.au

; <<>> DiG 9.11.3-1ubuntu1.5-Ubuntu <<>> @8.8.8.8 www.health.nsw.gov.au
; (1 server found)
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: SERVFAIL, id: 48552
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 512
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;www.health.nsw.gov.au.         IN      A

;; Query time: 267 msec
;; SERVER: 8.8.8.8#53(8.8.8.8)
;; WHEN: Sun Apr 07 20:35:31 AEST 2019
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 50

WITHOUT DNSSEC
$ dig @8.8.8.8 +cd www.health.nsw.gov.au

; <<>> DiG 9.11.3-1ubuntu1.5-Ubuntu <<>> @8.8.8.8 +cd www.health.nsw.gov.au
; (1 server found)
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra cd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 512
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;www.health.nsw.gov.au.         IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
www.health.nsw.gov.au.  0       IN      CNAME   health.nsw.gov.au.
health.nsw.gov.au.      299     IN      A       202.58.231.80

;; Query time: 268 msec
;; SERVER: 8.8.8.8#53(8.8.8.8)
;; WHEN: Sun Apr 07 20:35:47 AEST 2019
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 80

Similar responses are seen for www.health.vic.gov.au and www.health.qld.gov.au

No DS records exist for nsw.gov.au , vic.gov.au or qld.gov.au so my expectation would be that the google servers shouldn't perform DNSSEC validation when querying these domains.

A web query at the following URL confirms DNSSEC validation as an issue

{
  "Status": 2,
  "TC": false,
  "RD": true,
  "RA": true,
  "AD": false,
  "CD": false,
  "Question": [
    {
      "name": "www.health.nsw.gov.au.",
      "type": 1
    }
  ],
  "Comment": "DNSSEC validation failure. Check http://dnsviz.net/d/www.health.nsw.gov.au/dnssec/ and http://dnssec-debugger.verisignlabs.com/www.health.nsw.gov.au for errors"
}

Problem doesn't exist on other public DNS services such as Cloudflare, OpenDNS etc

Alex Dupuy

Apr 8, 2019, 11:42:10 AM4/8/19
to public-dns-discuss
Thanks for your report.

This issue is being handled at our public issue tracker:  https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/130107674.

We are rolling out a workaround that will disable DNSSEC validation for these as yet insecurely delegated domains:
When this is effective worldwide (expected by 2019-04-09 23:00 UTC), it will prevent the problems seen on Sunday for delegated subdomains of those domains when DNSSEC signing is enabled for the domains (but they are not themselves securely delegated by DS records in the gov.au zone).

We are also working on a fix to the bug in our DNSSEC validator that would incorrectly return validation failures for delegations like these in general.

We will provide further updates in the issue tracker only.

Alex Dupuy

Apr 8, 2019, 11:56:09 AM4/8/19
to public-dns-discuss
I (mistakenly) wrote:
When this [workaround] is effective worldwide (expected by 2019-04-09 23:00 UTC)

That should have been "expected by 2019-04-08 23:00 UTC"  in other words, within about seven hours from now.

Andrzej Swietek

Apr 8, 2019, 12:08:55 PM4/8/19
to benb...@gmail.com, public-dns-discuss
√vandrzejs-air:~ rozalia$ dig @8.8.8.8 www.health.nsw.gov.au

; <<>> DiG 9.10.6 <<>> @8.8.8.8 www.health.nsw.gov.au

; (1 server found)
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 512
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;www.health.nsw.gov.au. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
www.health.nsw.gov.au. 299 IN CNAME health.nsw.gov.au.

health.nsw.gov.au. 299 IN A 202.58.231.80

;; Query time: 384 msec
;; SERVER: 8.8.8.8#53(8.8.8.8)
;; WHEN: Mon Apr 08 17:44:36 CEST 2019
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 80