service available on port other than 53 ?

chuckk...@gmail.com

Dec 28, 2019, 1:31:03 PM12/28/19
to public-dns-discuss
I have dnsmasq installed and working. It's configured to forward requests to IP=8.8.8.8 port=53. Problem is, my ISP intercepts all packets with a destination port of 53 and changes their destination IP address, so my requests go elsewhere and never actually reach 8.8.8.8. What should I change my dnsmasq config to (I assume some alternate port number)?

thanks!

Wesley Peng

Dec 28, 2019, 4:52:06 PM12/28/19
to public-dn...@googlegroups.com
Can you try TCP port 53? Also some public resolvers have port 5353 enabled.

Sent from mobile

-----Original-Nachricht-----
Von: chuckk...@gmail.com
Betreff: [public-dns-discuss] service available on port other than 53 ?
Datum: 29.12.2019, 02:31 Uhr
An: public-dns-discuss <public-dn...@googlegroups.com>

I have dnsmasq installed and working. It's configured to forward requests to IP=8.8.8.8 port=53. Problem is, my ISP intercepts all packets with a destination port of 53 and changes their destination IP address, so my requests go elsewhere and never actually reach 8.8.8.8. What should I change my dnsmasq config to (I assume some alternate port number)?

thanks!

Alex Dupuy

Jan 8, 2020, 9:34:37 AM1/8/20
to public-dns-discuss
You could try configuring dnsmasq to use a local encrypted DNS proxy. https://www.google.com/search?q=dnsmasq+encrypted+dns will give you some useful results, depending on your OS you may find something helpful. DNS over TLS uses port 853 and DNS over HTTPS (DoH) uses port 443, both will defeat ISP hijacking, although some ISPs may block port 853 and/or port 443 connections to known DoH servers.

Von: chuckk...@gmail.com
Datum: 29.12.2019, 02:31 Uhr

An: public-dns-discuss <public-dns-discuss@googlegroups.com>