New Problem with vignette in 12.7

Charles Brooks

Sep 4, 2021, 2:42:54 AM9/4/21
to PTGui Support
The vignette correction in the optimiser in 12.7 is giving me very poor results compared to version 11.32.

Here's the panorama in 11.32, optimised with exposure full, and vignette on:
11.32 exposure full vignette enabled.png

But in 12.7 it fails to remove the vignetting:
Here it is from 12.7 with exposure on and vignetting on:
12.7 brightness enabled vignetting enabled.png

Is this a bug?

Kind Regards

Charles Brooks

Sep 4, 2021, 2:59:05 AM9/4/21
to PTGui Support
Also tested with generating new response curve, still have the same issue.

Michał Niedźwiecki

Sep 4, 2021, 3:59:52 AM9/4/21
to pt...@googlegroups.com
What blending settings your use?

Charles Brooks

Sep 4, 2021, 4:44:20 AM9/4/21
to PTGui Support
The problem persists with any of the blending options - although it seems a bit worse with optimum seams placement turned on.

PTGui Support

Sep 4, 2021, 5:28:59 AM9/4/21
to pt...@googlegroups.com
Hi Charles,

Have you tried disabling Optimum Seams, and setting blending to
Multiband? This will give you the same blending as v11.

Pressing the Reset button in Exposure/HDR might help.

If you need PTGui to correct vignetting, be sure to develop your raw
images in a neutral way. Don't use shadow/highlight correction, don't
tonemap the images before stitching. If you do this, vignetting
correction should be disabled in PTGui.

If you would like me to investigate, please make your project file and
source images available for download.

Kind regards,

Joost Nieuwenhuijse
www.ptgui.com

On 04/09/2021 10:44, Charles Brooks wrote:
> The problem persists with any of the blending options - although it
> seems a bit worse with optimum seams placement turned on.
> On Saturday, September 4, 2021 at 7:59:52 PM UTC+12 nkg...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> What blending settings your use?
> https://www.ptgui.com/whatsnew.html?version=120000
> <https://www.ptgui.com/whatsnew.html?version=120000>
>
> --
> Michał Niedźwiecki
>
> sob., 4 wrz 2021, 08:59 użytkownik Charles Brooks
> <cellom...@gmail.com> napisał:
>
> Also tested with generating new response curve, still have the
> same issue.
>
> On Saturday, September 4, 2021 at 6:42:54 PM UTC+12 Charles
> Brooks wrote:
>
> The vignette correction in the optimiser in 12.7 is giving
> me very poor results compared to version 11.32.
>
> Here's the panorama in 11.32, optimised with exposure full,
> and vignette on:
> 11.32 exposure full vignette enabled.png
>
> But in 12.7 it fails to remove the vignetting:
> Here it is from 12.7 with exposure on and vignetting on:
> 12.7 brightness enabled vignetting enabled.png
>
> Is this a bug?
>
> Kind Regards

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ptgui/38c24f31-0887-484f-9e73-4bfd712dd0cfn%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ptgui/38c24f31-0887-484f-9e73-4bfd712dd0cfn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ptgui/d4ab0e7f-1706-416c-a927-cf93d065262en%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ptgui/d4ab0e7f-1706-416c-a927-cf93d065262en%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Charles Brooks

Sep 4, 2021, 4:48:15 PM9/4/21
to PTGui Support
Hi Joost

Yes I've tried disabling seams, and multiband blending. I've also tried the reset button.
This is happening with all my panoramas in 12.7 - not just this one example.

12.7 generates a very different vignette and camera response curve to 11.32

Here's another example:

Version 11.32 - vignette is satisfactory:
example 2 1132.png
Version 12.7 - vignette is a problem:
example 2 127.png

Charles Brooks

Sep 4, 2021, 5:09:02 PM9/4/21
to PTGui Support
Project and source images sent - please ignore the stitching, these have been automatically aligned only and are yet to have the control points cleaned up.

2 x project files included, one from 11.35, another from 12.7
45 x Tiff files

Source images are all taken with the same exposure
Edited in lightroom for white balance only, all other adjustments disabled (camera lens correction, sharpening, etc etc), exported as 16bit Tiffs.

Charles Brooks

Sep 4, 2021, 5:24:08 PM9/4/21
to PTGui Support

PTGui Support

Sep 5, 2021, 4:53:20 PM9/5/21
to pt...@googlegroups.com
Hi Charles,

I see what you mean, PTGui 11 indeed better managed to correct the
vignetting.

It's a tricky problem, the vignetting is severe and it looks to be quite
off center too.

You should select 'Use a default curve' for the camera curve in the
Exposure/HDR settings. PTGui needs bracketed images in order to detect
the camera curve.

Anyway, I'll see if this can be improved in PTGui 12.

Kind regards,

Joost Nieuwenhuijse
www.ptgui.com

> www.ptgui.com <http://www.ptgui.com>
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ptgui/38c24f31-0887-484f-9e73-4bfd712dd0cfn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ptgui/38c24f31-0887-484f-9e73-4bfd712dd0cfn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>

> > --
> it, send
> > an email to ptgui+un...@googlegroups.com
> > <mailto:ptgui+un...@googlegroups.com>.
> >
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ptgui/d4ab0e7f-1706-416c-a927-cf93d065262en%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ptgui/d4ab0e7f-1706-416c-a927-cf93d065262en%40googlegroups.com>
>

> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ptgui/d4ab0e7f-1706-416c-a927-cf93d065262en%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ptgui/d4ab0e7f-1706-416c-a927-cf93d065262en%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ptgui/66317182-bd04-4ec1-bbd4-9e059329d206n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ptgui/66317182-bd04-4ec1-bbd4-9e059329d206n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

John Houghton

Sep 6, 2021, 3:19:46 AM9/6/21
to PTGui Support
Charles, I got a decent V12 result by loading in the V11 vignetting settings.  It would probably be best if you perform a vignetting calibration project, ensuring that 50% overlap is available for the curves to be accurately computed.  These images also have some minor red banding issues that become visible in the sky if the brightness is increased.

P1011377 Panorama 127-jh.jpg

John

Conrad Allan

Sep 6, 2021, 7:50:50 AM9/6/21
to PTGui Support
This has my interest piqued and I want to give this a try on some of my problematic images but I don't have a copy of Ptgui 11 saved.

Is there somewhere I can download it?

PTGui Support

Sep 6, 2021, 8:14:00 AM9/6/21
to pt...@googlegroups.com
PTGui 11 can still be downloaded here:
https://www.ptgui.com/download.html?version=113200

Kind regards,

Joost Nieuwenhuijse
www.ptgui.com

On 06/09/2021 13:50, Conrad Allan wrote:
> This has my interest piqued and I want to give this a try on some of my
> problematic images but I don't have a copy of Ptgui 11 saved.
>
> Is there somewhere I can download it?
>
> On Monday, September 6, 2021 at 5:19:46 PM UTC+10 John Houghton wrote:
>
> Charles, I got a decent V12 result by loading in the V11 vignetting
> settings.  It would probably be best if you perform a vignetting
> calibration project, ensuring that 50% overlap is available for the
> curves to be accurately computed.  These images also have some minor
> red banding issues that become visible in the sky if the brightness
> is increased.
>
> www.ptgui.com <http://www.ptgui.com>
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ptgui/38c24f31-0887-484f-9e73-4bfd712dd0cfn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ptgui/38c24f31-0887-484f-9e73-4bfd712dd0cfn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>

> > --
> emails from it, send
> > an email to ptgui+un...@googlegroups.com
> > <mailto:ptgui+un...@googlegroups.com>.
> >
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ptgui/d4ab0e7f-1706-416c-a927-cf93d065262en%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ptgui/d4ab0e7f-1706-416c-a927-cf93d065262en%40googlegroups.com>
>

> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ptgui/d4ab0e7f-1706-416c-a927-cf93d065262en%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ptgui/d4ab0e7f-1706-416c-a927-cf93d065262en%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ptgui/3e36b064-64c9-451b-8c2b-53cfeb6ab5bdn%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ptgui/3e36b064-64c9-451b-8c2b-53cfeb6ab5bdn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Conrad Allan

Sep 6, 2021, 8:31:35 AM9/6/21
to pt...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Joost, keen to check the differences out

Conrad W. Allan

Head Of Product, MattePaint Co-founder

MattePaint Pty Ltd

Phone: +61480193024

Email: con...@mattepaint.com

My Timezone is AEST, Brisbane.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "PTGui Support" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ptgui/7725a477-d91f-5b51-8c5f-3e2161cb6f1e%40ptgui.com.

Charles Brooks

Sep 6, 2021, 8:46:30 PM9/6/21
to PTGui Support
Thanks Joost

It's just odd that the result was so much better in previous versions.
With astro panoramas we're often stuck with a 25% overlap due to software limitations on some of the panorama heads (syrp in particular).
This hasn't been much of an issue until the v12 upgrade.

I use this software for my business and have dozens of students encountering the same problems - I hope we can sort it out soon.
FYI I'm the guy who did the ptGUI tutorial for syrp pano heads a few years back: Tutorial: How to shoot astro panoramas - Charles Brooks - YouTube