A quick vocal question

Christopher Gilland

Aug 15, 2019, 8:22:03 AM8/15/19
to ptac...@googlegroups.com
So... I've run into a situation which I haven't yet in all my time
recording had happen. Quite frankly, this might be the first, but I'm
damn sure it won't be the last, so I'd rather figure out now early in my
learning process how to deal with this.

I've got a vocalist who's recording lead vocals in my studio. Problem
is, at one point, they were not confident at all. I mean it was sow'w'w!
sad! It broke my heart, literally every day watching them try so hard
through their sessions to bang out a vocal and stay on key with good
breathing technique, etc.

Part of being a producer can, not always, but sometimes can! as in this
case, involve having a vocal coach. In this case that was me.

I kept trying to encourage the poor guy, and tell him, look, you may not
be an Elvis Presley, or a Paul McCartney, etc. etc, one a the big guys,
but you know what? That's Ow'w, kayy. Relax! Just be yourself.

Every few lines, he kept saying, dammit, this just isn't working.

The thing is, yes it was! Beautifully actually. He just didn't trust
himself.

Well, last night, we tracked a few things, and will be doing so later
today as well. The problem is, we had something very weird happen last
night, and it's starting to be another issue entirely.

Last night, he came in, stood at that microphone with the cans on his
ears, and let me tell you what... this guy blew it dead! I mean, he
knocked it slam dunk! I dono what he did, but he was so on key it was
ridiculous! His diction was flawless, his timing couldn't have been
better, etc.

The issue is, he noticed this too, and was so excited that just as he'd
start really nailing things, he'd stop, just from laughing with joy.
He's like, I don't believe this! I'm actually pulling this off for once!
I kept telling him, wayta! gow'w! Problem though is, now, after that
incident happened, now, he's gone the other way off the deep end. First
he wasn't confident enough. Now, he's becoming rapidly so! confident
that he's practically botching his vocals left and right because he's so
into it that he's losing concentration in thinking how darn good things
are starting to sound and come together.

As a producer/coach, how do you all deal with this when you get someone
who can't get through things, not because it's not working, but more
they keep losing concentration. He's like, I can't help it, dude! It
sounds so darn good all a sudden.

Should I maybe back off his mike a bit in his cans so that he
concentrates more on the accompiniment, or should I back off encouraging
him so much, I just dono.

Chris.

jimmie smith

Aug 15, 2019, 8:48:28 AM8/15/19
to ptac...@googlegroups.com

 Try telling him you want to make a pass at the vocals and tell him you're not recording. Sometimes just the thought of being recorded will make a person upset or nervous. Say, I'd like to make a pass at this just so we can get things right with levels. And in other words, tell him you're not recording when you really are.

Aug 15, 2019, 11:46:11 AM8/15/19
to ptac...@googlegroups.com
I’d try to be firm and honest, stating how the take feels to you as producer, using the most neutral language you can. When he responds, move a little outside neutral towards the counterpoint of his response. If he’s disagreeing with you, be polite and speak in terms of we and not I. If he agrees, pull back a bit on your view, and compliment his performance in examples you feel sounded best. It’s gonna be some back and forth, so you guys may need to think on it for a day or two before trying again. And when all else fails, be silly and unproductive in the conventional sense. I hard tuned my friend in a hardcore punk band when his vocals were either/or but not sweet spot. We all laughed, decided on doing a bonus track version of the song in Fetty-style for fun, and he loosened up without going fringe.

I hope some ideas here helped! You’ll know best when working with him next. Good luck!

Mike

Sent from my iPhone

Ricky Prevatte

Aug 15, 2019, 6:06:06 PM8/15/19
to ptac...@googlegroups.com
Charge by the hour and thank God for the customer! Each case is an individual case never Cantel what might work but use your musicians intuition. Think about this though how would you feel just encourage and thank God for the customer and the opportunity to share your talent.

Sent from my iPhone
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ptaccess/3E93E01E-D999-495F-BFAE-07D938A744FB%40gmail.com.

TheOreoMonster

Aug 16, 2019, 12:10:17 AM8/16/19
to ptac...@googlegroups.com
Try to think what made the flawless take so flawless, and how you can duplicate it? Is the song in his sweet spot range wise, if not consider changing the key. Should be easy enough to do with a high quality pitch plug in.

Steve Sparrow

Aug 16, 2019, 6:49:01 AM8/16/19
to ptac...@googlegroups.com
Hey chris.
Your on the right track. As Oria said make sure the key of the song is good for him. You can Alter if need be. I use Waves sound shifter for this. Just get him to sing the song through a few times. and record in separate takes. Get him to enjoy himself. Like he’s on stage. let him see you enjoying yourself too tap along. it’s some times easier to sing if they see me into the song too.
Tell him just go for it and don’t worry if you make a mistake unless it’s major. Cause you can fix things up later.

then you have got the best take you think he can do, you can go back with him and fix up any small mistakes word fluffs ETc. You’ve also got the other takes to cut ant paist later if need be.
I generally find that it’s often good to do no more than three or maybe 4? takes on one song to get a good basic vocal you can go back with him and work with. because after that, they often get a bit stale with it. Then as I say fix up any bits you both agree you don’t like.. . Come back to a song later if you have too.
Also make sure his head phone mix sounds good, and is comfortable for him. As you said you could try turning down his vocal if it works.You may have to turn him up too. depending on the situation.
and also ask him how he feels about the vocal. he’ll probably tell you what he needs.

You’ve really got to capture him like he is to a large degree. With people who have trouble with pitch and timing, it takes a lot of editing after the session often, to make it work. witch is a shame some times cause if there singing is problomatic it is still not great. But offten they’ll nail something really good when there in the moment. I think keep on as your doing. really install confidence in him that he can get it down good.
I often tell my nurvice clyents that you only have to do this part right once. Then we’ve got it. lol.

Do you use auto tune or some pitch correction.

Cheers Steve

Steve