End of life ?

PrototypeFanClub

Sep 29, 2021, 8:49:21 AM9/29/21
to Prototype & script.aculo.us
Hi,

I am new to this community. I am using an older version of script.aculo.us and prototype in my work. I need an answer to following question before I plan to upgrade the library to a later version.

a) I do not see a release for script.aculo.us (last release in 2010) and prototype (last release in 2015). Shall I consider these libraries End of Life or are there a replacement for these libraries which are actively supported by community and do not have any reported security issues.

Thanks

Walter Lee Davis

Sep 29, 2021, 10:50:03 AM9/29/21
to prototype-s...@googlegroups.com
I don't speak with any authority for either Thomas Fuchs or Andrew Dupont, but both of these projects are effectively out of date. If you look at the latest commit dates on GitHub, you'll see that very little has been added/changed over the past couple of years. I recognize that this is not a real metric, since a finished, working thing often doesn't need lots of changing. But it's a hint that security needs may be going unmet.

I desperately love Prototype. Full stop. I think it is the way that JavaScript should work. But that opinion is increasingly out of step with "modern" JS. I was forced by [day job] to learn jQuery, and now I've been relying on various "you may not need jQuery" conversion hint sites to make my work more "vanilla".

I have been having a very good time with Stimulus.js, though, and that has been really refreshing.

As far as animation and transition effects go, I don't know of anything that even approaches what Script.aculo.us does/did.

Walter