'protoc-gen-grpc' is not recognized as an internal or external command

Antonis

Jan 5, 2021, 12:14:07 PM1/5/21
to Protocol Buffers
Hi,

I am on windows. I installed grpc using vcpkg.

I added the protoc in the path and i tried to run an example.
But I have the following error. Do you have any idea why?

'protoc-gen-grpc' is not recognized as an internal or external command

the command is
protoc -I . --grpc_out=. --plugin=C:\Users\user1\Downloads\vcpkg\packages\grpc_x64-windows\tools\grpc\grpc_cpp_plugin .\helloworld.proto

and I based my attempt on the following tutorial

Thank you,
Antonis

Tom Hintz

Jan 7, 2021, 2:59:20 PM1/7/21
to Protocol Buffers
It seems likely either the PATH environment variable is wrong or your process needs to be restarted to pick up the newly edited path.  My recollection is that spaces in paths often cause confusion.

Antonis Polykratis

Jan 14, 2021, 3:21:10 AM1/14/21
to Tom Hintz, Protocol Buffers
Thank you Tom!
It needs an .exe in the syntax I used:
...\grpc_cpp_plugin --> ..\grpc_cpp_plugin.exe