Looking to install Google Protobuf 3.5

John Byrne

Nov 19, 2020, 2:01:49 PM11/19/20
to Protocol Buffers
Hi,

   I installed Google Protobuf version 3.5  for C++ on CentOS a couple of years back.   I now need to install the same version or newer on RHEL 7.

   I'm confused because on GitHub the latest version states 3.14.   Assuming I have the correct url which I found here:

   Was there a change to the version names?  Is 3.14 the latest version?   Is 3.14 a later version than 3.5??

    Is there an rpm available for Google Protobuf 3.5 that I could download from somewhere?   I've been looking and haven't had success.

   Sorry I'm relatively new to Linux.

Adam Cozzette

Nov 19, 2020, 2:23:51 PM11/19/20
to John Byrne, Protocol Buffers
3.14.0 is indeed the newest version. I suspect you might be thinking of the versions as if they're decimal numbers, but that is not quite how they work. It goes 3.9, 3.10, 3.11, etc. I'm not sure about RPMs but I would guess most Linux distros provide a package at least as recent as 3.5.

John Byrne

Nov 19, 2020, 2:40:09 PM11/19/20
to Protocol Buffers
Ah..  that makes sense.   Thank you for the quick response.   I'll try to install 3.14, and see how it goes!