Webhook integration for custom receiver

Nitin

Feb 6, 2020, 9:24:42 PM2/6/20
to Prometheus Users
 Hello,

I am new in cloud computing technologies and our project is adopting Kubernetes,dockers and Prometheus for containerized deployment with metric monitoring.

While Prometheus offer Alertmanager capabilities we want to extend it to route the alerts to our own notification framework and based on what I read so far WEBHOOK is the way to approach that, right ?
So the idea is we will have an integration service configured as a webhook receiver to route all the generated alerts to our notification framework.

I have few questions in regards to that,
1. What kind of API the webhook receiver expects in order to listen to alerts triggered from Prometheus ? Does it have to be JAVA service API / Rest API ?
2. Eventually all of these has to function in Kubernetes controlled containerized deployment , but for me to start with the development of this custom webhook receiver and be able to debug it if needed, do I have to have Prometheus running in containerized mode right away ?

Can someone suggest me if how I can approach this and get the custom webhook receiver implemented and unit tested before deploying it in containerized mode ? Hopefully I am not way too confused here.

Appreciate any inputs/guidance here.

Thank you,
Nitin

Brian Brazil

Feb 7, 2020, 2:30:25 AM2/7/20
to Nitin, Prometheus Users
On Fri, 7 Feb 2020 at 02:24, Nitin <niti...@gmail.com> wrote:
 Hello,

I am new in cloud computing technologies and our project is adopting Kubernetes,dockers and Prometheus for containerized deployment with metric monitoring.

While Prometheus offer Alertmanager capabilities we want to extend it to route the alerts to our own notification framework and based on what I read so far WEBHOOK is the way to approach that, right ?
So the idea is we will have an integration service configured as a webhook receiver to route all the generated alerts to our notification framework.

I have few questions in regards to that,
1. What kind of API the webhook receiver expects in order to listen to alerts triggered from Prometheus ? Does it have to be JAVA service API / Rest API ?

It's JSON over HTTP, use whatever you like.

2. Eventually all of these has to function in Kubernetes controlled containerized deployment , but for me to start with the development of this custom webhook receiver and be able to debug it if needed, do I have to have Prometheus running in containerized mode right away ?

Prometheus and the Alertmanager don't care whether they're inside a container, the only component where that matters at all is the node exporter (which in general you should not run inside a container for the sake of your sanity).

Brian

Can someone suggest me if how I can approach this and get the custom webhook receiver implemented and unit tested before deploying it in containerized mode ? Hopefully I am not way too confused here.

Appreciate any inputs/guidance here.

Thank you,
Nitin

Steve

Feb 7, 2020, 6:05:48 AM2/7/20
to Brian Brazil, Nitin, Prometheus Users
Hi Brian
I have node exporter running in containers.
What problems do you foresee?

Thanks

Steve

Nitin