Setup telegraf + Prometheus + Grafana on CentOS Linux release 7.7.1908 (Core).

Kaushal Shriyan

Mar 24, 2020, 2:14:39 PM3/24/20
to Prometheus Users
Hi,

Is there a way to configure telegraf push data to the Prometheus Time series database and render it in the Grafana visualization tool? I have setup telegraf + influxDB + Grafana on CentOS Linux release 7.7.1908 (Core). Any docs or tutorials to setup telegraf + Prometheus + Grafana ?

Any help will be highly appreciated and thanks in advance.

Best Regards,

Kaushal

Brian Candler

Mar 24, 2020, 2:34:34 PM3/24/20
to Prometheus Users
You can't push to Prometheus like that.

Have a look at VictoriaMetrics, which *does* support push (including the influxdb line protocol used by telegraf). It also supports the Prometheus query API, so you can query it from Grafana dashboard just like a Prometheus server.

Kaushal Shriyan

Mar 24, 2020, 2:41:48 PM3/24/20
to Prometheus Users

On Wednesday, 25 March 2020 00:04:34 UTC+5:30, Brian Candler wrote:
You can't push to Prometheus like that.

Have a look at VictoriaMetrics, which *does* support push (including the influxdb line protocol used by telegraf). It also supports the Prometheus query API, so you can query it from Grafana dashboard just like a Prometheus server.

Hi Brian,

So Prometheus does not support telegraf. I am not sure if I completely understand it. InfluxDB is a time-series database while Prometheus is also a time-series database. Any plugin or module to allow telegraf agent to push metrics to the Prometheus time-series database?

Best Regards,

Kaushal

Ben Kochie

Mar 24, 2020, 3:21:06 PM3/24/20
to Kaushal Shriyan, Prometheus Users
Prometheus is not a time-series database. Prometheus is a monitoring system that operates on metrics and happens to include a very good time-series database to support this functionality.

Best Regards,

Kaushal

Brian Candler

Mar 24, 2020, 3:58:03 PM3/24/20
to Prometheus Users
On Tuesday, 24 March 2020 18:41:48 UTC, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
Any plugin or module to allow telegraf agent to push metrics to the Prometheus time-series database?

Sorry if I wasn't clear before, but I can't think of a clearer way to say it: *you cannot push data to Prometheus*.

Prometheus is a pull-only system.  Prometheus connects to data sources to ingest data.

Regards,

Brian.

Daniel Horecki

Mar 25, 2020, 5:34:42 AM3/25/20
to Prometheus Users
Telegraf has a plugin to act as a prometheus client. Then it can pull data from it: