Blackbox DNS - monitor DNS failover

Magdalena Sadowska

Oct 14, 2021, 4:44:01 AM10/14/21
to Prometheus Users
Hi,

I am looking to monitor and alert on DNS failover. I basically have two static IP load balancers that the requests go to when hitting an www.my-endpoint.com endpoint (active-passive set up). Can I trace which IP the request went to? I want to be able to tell if the passive IP was activated to alert on DNS failover with blackbox exporter. Would the IP for the endpoint be stored as label?

If not, does anyone have any idea how to monitor the failover differently?

Brian Candler

Oct 14, 2021, 5:18:49 AM10/14/21
to Prometheus Users
Look at the metric "probe_ip_addr_hash".  It's a numeric hash of the target IP and if it changes, you're connecting to a different IP address.

username

Oct 14, 2021, 5:45:48 AM10/14/21
to Prometheus Users
That's amazing, thank you so much for your reply, I really appreciate it.