Rename "start_time_seconds" to "start_timestamp_seconds"?

Fabian Stäber

Sep 4, 2023, 8:20:54 AM9/4/23
to Prometheus Developers
Hi,

Many Prometheus client libraries export a metric named "start_time_seconds", which is the timestamp when the application was started.

However, according to https://prometheus.io/docs/practices/naming/ the name should be "start_timestamp_seconds".

So, as the Java client will have breaking changes anyway, what do you think?

* Rename to be compliant with our naming best practices?
* Keep the name consistent with other client libraries?

Fabian

Julius Volz

Sep 4, 2023, 8:44:08 AM9/4/23
to Fabian Stäber, Prometheus Developers
Since that's a metric that is standardized across our client libraries, we should keep the existing name IMO. I'm also not sure if the naming doc is that clear on whether a timestamp necessarily has to be named "timestamp" vs. just "time". We also use just "time" in other places as well, like "node_boot_time_seconds" in the Node Exporter, or "container_start_time_seconds" (although that's not us, that's cAdvisor / k8s.

Julien Pivotto

Sep 4, 2023, 9:45:54 AM9/4/23
to Fabian Stäber, Prometheus Developers
We should follow:

https://prometheus.io/docs/instrumenting/writing_clientlibs/#process-metrics

Regards

> Fabian

Julien Pivotto
@roidelapluie

Ben Kochie

Sep 4, 2023, 9:48:27 AM9/4/23
to Julius Volz, Fabian Stäber, Prometheus Developers
+1 to keeping consistent with the other libraries.

We should clarify the docs that `time` is an ok value in addition to `timestamp`.

Fabian Stäber

Sep 4, 2023, 10:03:41 AM9/4/23
to Fabian Stäber, Prometheus Developers
Thanks a lot Julien, tbh I wasn't aware of that table :) Thanks for pointing me to it.

Kevin Wiesmueller

Sep 5, 2023, 8:43:02 AM9/5/23
to Fabian Stäber, Prometheus Developers
Changing this would be a pretty problematic breaking change for consumers. We're heavily relying on this timestamp and if we get two different names from it depending on the client version that would require some adapting.